Composer user's folder capture best practices

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

When you capture an app and it puts stuff in the logged in user's folder, what's the best practice to set teh owner group to, since you will be using FUT.

Meaning, /Users is root:admin. and then the actual /Users/Admin folder is owned by Admin:whateveritis. Is it best practice to leave teh Admin:whateveritis set or propagate the root:admin from /Users?

7 REPLIES 7

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

In our case, the group is staff, and FUT/FEU keeps the staff group. This has worked well in the couple of instances where we need it.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

so don't propagate from /Users down?

musat
Contributor III

I gotten into doing the propagate for the Users folder, and it works as well. Mainly I do it for Users since I need to do that for Applications, and as I am working on explaining this to others, it is easier to just tell them they need to do the propagate tights for all of the base folders.

ernstcs
Contributor III

Yeah, I do root:admin on the actual users home folder on down, same as /Users

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

We create all DMG's like this under our Administrator account, this is on all ours macs.

I just leave the perms as-is, when using FUT or FEU's it seems to correct the perms.

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

In my testing, the permissions on the files that will be filled are irrelevant; permissions are apparently set during installation (if installed by Casper).

ernstcs
Contributor III

Correct, when the binary copies it to the user template or to the existing users home directory it should inherit permissions properly. The most important part about ANY packages that have FUT/FEU is that you don't have more than one user home directory in it as the binary will take whatever the first one it finds to apply the settings. At least that was the behavior. We try to make sure we use the same username account for user files for all packages. We set permissions in packages just because it's cleaner (OCD) to have valid accounts on files all the time.