Computer and Mobile Search Inventory Broken in 9

monogrant
Contributor

Since the v9 upgrade and the cert authority issue now noticing that the search isn't working for mobile and computer inventories.

Any ideas on how to restore this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Can you be more specific on what you're seeing? Are you searching using the wildcard character (*) if you're not entering a full computer or mobile device name?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mm2270

Can you be more specific on what you're seeing? Are you searching using the wildcard character (*) if you're not entering a full computer or mobile device name?

monogrant
Contributor

What a pain...

This seems like a step back in time...like before we had Spotlight or Google.

yr_joelbruner
New Contributor III

I noticed that it seems not to do substring searches anymore from the first search box.
Workaround: If you click Search with nothing, you get the full list. Then type in a substring search in the Filter Results box and get a result.

But that's a bit of a unnecessary two-step.

mm2270

But it does do substring searches (the gist of this very post) by adding asterisks around the string. Either after or before or both, depending on what you're looking for. Its a big change from all previous versions of the JSS as far back as I can recall. But I think the reason behind it is so you can now do things like include/exclude within the basic search, which wasn't really possible before.

That said, the filtering field is a welcome addition. However, I wish the Export and Action buttons didn't vanish as soon as you filter a search. Why not allow us to do something with filtered results other than just look at them? :/ That seems to limit the filters usefulness to me.

joelande
Contributor

I was hit by this as well.

Can you elaborate how a substring search would work? syntax examples...

krusej23
New Contributor

We are having the same issue. This should work just like previous versions did. I would be able to type 15 into the search box and any computer name that had 15 in it should pop up in the list.

fcloth
New Contributor II

Here is what I'm seeing when performing searches. Let's say the computer I'm looking for is "Forrest-Gump-1234."

Search for "Forrest"...returns nothing. (In version 8, this would return all computers containing "Forrest.")

Search for "Forrest-Gump-1234"...returns "Forrest-Gump-1234."

Search for "Forrest*"...returns "Forrest-Gump-1234" (and I assume anything else starting with "Forrest.")

...I'm not a smart man...but I know what search is.

(Edit: I'm on 9.2)

mkimmel_us
New Contributor II

We've had this issue since 9 as well. Very annoying - especially after everything that was gained in 9.x.