computer sees 0 software updates

AdamCraig
Contributor III

I have a computer that sees 0 software updates. I have a script that automatically prompts users to run them, and it wasn't prompting this user. I reached out and confirmed that if the user goes to system preferences>software updates they do not see any updates. this computer is on 10.15.3 so there are definitely updates available.

I've removed the profile that delayed software updates, though it was only 7 days. I've run the reset ignored software update command many times, i've ensured that the date and time are correct on the computer. We never configured a software update server so all of our computers are just going directly to apple for that.

any ideas as to what else to try?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

@strayer What output do you get for:

softwareupdate --clear-catalog

softwareupdate --list --all --include-config-data

View solution in original post

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Not sure if it's SIP-protected, but removing /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist, restarting (or killall cfprefsd a couple of times), and try again. Also check for proxy servers or other network configuration that might redirect traffic. Might suggest downloading MalwareBytes for Mac and seeing if there is anything malicious installed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

@strayer What output do you get for:

softwareupdate --clear-catalog

softwareupdate --list --all --include-config-data

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Not sure if it's SIP-protected, but removing /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist, restarting (or killall cfprefsd a couple of times), and try again. Also check for proxy servers or other network configuration that might redirect traffic. Might suggest downloading MalwareBytes for Mac and seeing if there is anything malicious installed.

AdamCraig
Contributor III

@dan-snelson that returns ```Changing the Software Update catalog is deprecated.
The ability to specify a custom catalog will be removed in a future release of macOS.
No new software available.
Software Update Tool

Finding available software
No new software available.```

@RobertHammen We are fully remote like a lot of people, but I'll try to work with the user around the network config stuff. I am a fan of MalwareBytes personally, however I'm pretty sure our anti-virus flags it.

thanks for the suggestions.

AdamCraig
Contributor III

So It's working now. I did remotely delete the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist run killall cfprefsd
I also have a maintenance policy that Flushes DNS, Clears Saved Application State, flushes user and system caches and resets nvram, then reboots the computer.

The user ran that after the remote deleting of the preference file and it sees things again. My guess is the DNS plus the deleting of the preference file, but who knows which thing fixed it. Thanks for your help.