Configuration Profiles -- Add Dock Apps

hinrichd
New Contributor III

Hi all.
Is it common that Maps.app, Photos.app and Books.app is not listed in the drop down selection when you choose configuration profile - Dock - Add Dock Apps?
I know how to add additional apps to the drop down selection by editing an tomcat xml file which is not very handy. I thought that Maps.app, Photos.app and Books.app is so much default that they should are allready listed in the xml.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kerouak
Valued Contributor

Nope!
There is a way to add apps to the list....

The file named : ConfigurationProfileDockItemApps.xml in the Tomcat folder can be edited..

So, Stop Tomcat
locate the file
edit thus:
<dict> <key>mcx_typehint</key> <integer>1</integer> <key>tile-data</key> <dict> <key>file-data</key> <dict> <key>_CFURLString</key> <string>/Applications/Toast 11 Titanium/Toast Titanium.app</string> <key>_CFURLStringType</key> <integer>0</integer> </dict> <key>file-label</key> <string>Toast Titanium</string> </dict>

Just replace the application name and location for each application.
copy the XML back into Tomcat
start tomcat
job done!
Gimme a shout if you need any assistance with this mate

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

kerouak
Valued Contributor

Nope!
There is a way to add apps to the list....

The file named : ConfigurationProfileDockItemApps.xml in the Tomcat folder can be edited..

So, Stop Tomcat
locate the file
edit thus:
<dict> <key>mcx_typehint</key> <integer>1</integer> <key>tile-data</key> <dict> <key>file-data</key> <dict> <key>_CFURLString</key> <string>/Applications/Toast 11 Titanium/Toast Titanium.app</string> <key>_CFURLStringType</key> <integer>0</integer> </dict> <key>file-label</key> <string>Toast Titanium</string> </dict>

Just replace the application name and location for each application.
copy the XML back into Tomcat
start tomcat
job done!
Gimme a shout if you need any assistance with this mate

hinrichd
New Contributor III

Thank You. This will help!

yadin
Contributor

This isn't possible when you don't have access to the back end server.
I guess I should no longer be surprised when I find yet another place where JAMF completely fails at it's job. How is it that not only can you not add 3rd party apps to the dock, not only are the VPP apps you've configured not listed, not only are apps from inventory not listed, not only are some built in apps not listed, but other stuff that has never existed is listed??
Surely there is a way to actually manage the dock that doesn't involve system hacks...