Configuration profiles - preference pane - lock / grey out - delete profiles manually - terminal

oddity-mdm
New Contributor III

Hello together,

we just scoped a configuration profile to some Macs to grey out some tabs in the system preferences including profiles tab. To remove the configuration profile temporary we can go to configuration profiles and put the computer name in the exclusion tab (scope). This works most of the times, but not every time and it is a bit tedious.

So I tried to remove the profile via terminal with the following command:

sudo profiles -R -p 'identifier'

But this does not work. I get the error message 101 - this profile couldn't get removed. Probably because I greyed out the profiles tab?

So my question: Is there a way to delete the profile temporary via terminal?
Would it be better not to grey out the profiles tab? But could the users not just remove the profiles by themselves?

Maybe anyone has a completely different path?

Best regards
Maurice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sbirdsley
Contributor

If the Configuration Profiles are being applied by APNS and your devices are managed there should be no option in the System Preferences GUI to remove (- button) that the user can use. If the configurations profiles are installed manually through GUI then yes there is a remove (-) option

I know anytime we need to "re-run" a configuration profile that is scoped to all machines. Instead of excluding then removing you can run the sudo jamf removemdmprofile command. This will remove the MDM profile to which you can once removed just reinstall via the sudo jamf mdm command and it will put down all configuration profiles that apply/scoped to the machine

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sbirdsley
Contributor

If the Configuration Profiles are being applied by APNS and your devices are managed there should be no option in the System Preferences GUI to remove (- button) that the user can use. If the configurations profiles are installed manually through GUI then yes there is a remove (-) option

I know anytime we need to "re-run" a configuration profile that is scoped to all machines. Instead of excluding then removing you can run the sudo jamf removemdmprofile command. This will remove the MDM profile to which you can once removed just reinstall via the sudo jamf mdm command and it will put down all configuration profiles that apply/scoped to the machine

oddity-mdm
New Contributor III

The solution I searched for. Thank you sbirdsley!

thomH
New Contributor III
If the Configuration Profiles are being applied by APNS and your devices are managed there should be no option in the System Preferences GUI to remove (- button) that the user can use.

Isn't the case that if you choose to allow removal in your PreStage the (-) options is there? I'm looking for a way to leave that prestage removal allowed but keep users from being able to remove manually.

Thanks

Follow up: Jamf support answered this for me: Go>Configuration Profiles>Restrictions Payload> disable Profiles in System Preferences

Heavy_D
Contributor III

I hate to bring back an old thread but my users are Admins on their machines, if I grey out the Profiles tab what are the pros and cons of that scenario?