Configurator iPads connect and disconnect repeatedly

mtiffany
New Contributor III

We are a higher ed org and stopped using our iPad carts for about a year. Instructors are wanting to use them again. I had hoped to never touch them again and surplus all of it. But no.

When trying to get everything set back up so we can wipe iPads between uses, reenroll to our JAMF, and install our VPP apps. I'm running into the problem from the subject. I'm using AC2 to: Prepare, install certs, and join JAMF. However, non of this can be done because when I connect an iPad to the MBP running AC2 the iPad repeatedly connects (beep), disconnects (beep), connects (beep), disconnects (beep). I therefore can't apply blueprints because it's never connected long enough.

I did a brief search and didn't find any articles how to fix this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

RLR
Valued Contributor

I've found that plugging in too many iPads at once can cause them to disconnected/reconnect a lot. I did come across a command to allow more iPads to be connected but I've not had to use it yet:

sudo nvram usb-options=’’%01%00%00%00’’

mtiffany
New Contributor III

Thanks RLR, I've seen that before and had to apply that previously.

This problem is happening with a single iPad connected directly to the MBP.

I've checked that everything is updated, although I get a message that "A software update is required to connect to your iPad". There are 2 options, Not Now OR Install. Unfortunately, if I select the Install option the following happens: I get a "Downloading" window, followed by an error that "Installation failed... Can't install the software because it is not currently available from the software update server."

RLR
Valued Contributor

Hmm, not quite sure. Are you using genuine lightning cables? Double check the firewall isn't blocking anything. I usually put my MAC in a none-filtering policy when doing things with ipads and apple configurator.

mtiffany
New Contributor III

Thanks again for the reply RLR!

Yep, using genuine lightning cable (I've tried 3 different ones). I have the firewall turned off in Settings. Our edge firewall shouldn't be blocking any local connections, and all updates work normally with the exception of this one. And the error isn't that the server is not available but rather the software is not available from the server.

I did manage to get an ipad to stay connected long enough to apply a blue print but I'm still going to have to address this problem else it will rear its head when I don't have time to address it.

Thanks again for the suggestions and help!

sharriston
Contributor III

What OS is on the MBP? What version of Configurator 2 do you have? And what iPad model are you trying to update? Just trying to see what all the variables are.

mtiffany
New Contributor III

Hey @sharriston thanks for the reply!

MBP is running Mojave 10.14.3
AC2 is 2.8.2 (3148)
iPads are Air 2

sharriston
Contributor III

Are the iPads charged? I know one of the issues we had is the ipads didn't have enough charge to complete the update and would fail and disconnect and thats because the USB on the computer doesn't have high enough voltage to charge the ipads. The other issue we had was dust and debris in the lightening connector.

mtiffany
New Contributor III

@sharriston Yep the iPads are fully charged.

So this has somewhat resolved itself. When connected to the MB I see this problem more often. However when that MB is connected to the iPad cart the problem is less frequent. That option (being connected to a hub rather than directly to the MB) has allowed me to get all of the iPads managed. Granted this makes working on an individual iPad, say for testing or whatever somewhat frustrating. But if anyone else runs into this problem try adding a hub between the MB and iPad. This could buy you enough time to get it managed or restored as it did in my case.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions!