Configurator - Wi-Fi Connection issue

aburrow
Contributor

I'm using Configurator on an iPad to include in our JSS environment. I'm encountering an unusual issues with the process. I've gone through and setup a Blueprint with Wi-Fi profile etc.. When I apply the Blueprint I get to the Wi-Fi screen on the iPad and it waits for me to select 'Next' top right corner. I can see it's using the Wi-Fi Profile as it is seeing the SSID and connecting to it. Once I select 'Next' the process continues as it should. I am not prompted to accept any certificate's, I am not including any certificates in the Profile, I am including the server in the 'Trusted Server Certificate Names' field though.

6 REPLIES 6

blinvisible
Contributor

Sounds like you've answered your own question. Adding a trusted server name means any certificate issued by that server will automatically be trusted. Generally not good if MITM attacks/DNS hijacks are a concern.

Apple's documentation is here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207866

aburrow
Contributor

I still don't understand why it waits for me to select 'Next' in the top right hand corner. Shouldn't it connect to the Wi-Fi Network and just continue on automatically?

blinvisible
Contributor

Not in my experience, no. It does, as you mention, auto-connect to the Wi-Fi network you specify in your profile, but it won't automatically progress to the next step of the setup assistant. Whether or not it "should" could be up for debate, but I would guess there are conscious reasons why it doesn't -- perhaps to allow a user to connect to a different network, such as a home network, if setting up the iOS device from off-campus or generally out of range of the SSID you've specified. Particularly in a DEP world, Apple does not make the assumption that even a preconfigured or managed device will undergo the setup process in a controlled environment.

aburrow
Contributor

Thanks for the information. It's going to be time consuming everytime these iPads are run through configurator. As we plan to reset the iPads after every class to clear the Wi-Fi configuration.

miregan
Contributor II

Why

aburrow
Contributor

As we use auditable logins to our Wi-Fi network we need to ensure that the user currently using the iPad is the correct person. We've been unable to find another method of reseting the iPad's Wi-Fi username/password as well as installing/removing Apps as appropriate.