Control Office with Terminal

pbowden
Contributor III

Hey Everyone! I just posted a new video for this week - Controlling Office with Terminal. I go over how to download and deploy Office by using only the Terminal. Near the end of the video, I also demo the new facility in 16.26 and later where you can gracefully kill Office apps from the command-line. Let me know if you have any questions.

YouTube Video: Control Office with Terminal

10 REPLIES 10

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

Thanks for sharing!

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

robertliebsch
Contributor

Good stuff!

SVM-IT
New Contributor III

Just watched it. Terrific info!

AHolmdahl
New Contributor III

Keep up the great work!

marklamont
Contributor III

@pbowden is there a doc with all the links and commands anywhere?

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

You sir, are a saint and a gentleman. Microsoft doesn't pay you enough... :)

pbowden
Contributor III

@cwaldrip thanks for your kind comments Chris! Let me know if there are other topics you’d like me to cover in future videos!

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

And, @pbowden, I'd invite you to a dinner party in a heart beat. ;-)

pbowden
Contributor III

@cwaldrip haha! Thanks!

pbowden
Contributor III

Hi @marklamont there's documentation for for the curl command within macOS itself (i.e. man curl). The switches I used in the video were -LOJ and -I, so you'll find the descriptions for these on the man page.
pkill is also a core macOS command, so that has a man page as well - if you want to look at all 32 different signals that you can send a process. In the demo at the end, I used -SIGHUP, which is the mechanism that we've standardized on for IT admins to indicate to us that they need the process to die, and we'll do our very best attempt to shut down gracefully and save any work.