Create a 'request application access' in Self Service to send an automated email

seankaufman
New Contributor

I'm looking to create a dummy option in my Self Service for something like "Request Photoshop License" or whatever the licensed application may be so that after user puts in the request, I can move their machine into the scope of the policies I already have for said applications.

The way I was thinking of doing it was to have downloading the 'request' policy trigger a script that'll either just send me a template email that captures their computer name so I know who sent it, or by having the mail application launch with my IT email already in the field and maybe a subject and template content in the body.

I've tried messing with both of these options, but I'm a complete scripting novice! Any advice is much appreciated if anyone else has tried anything similar in the past !!

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

You can start by taking a look at this older Feature Request for some ideas on how to do this.
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=611

kevindigg
New Contributor

Just thinking out loud, but maybe you could use a dummy receipt as a smart group trigger. It'd be something like:

Have your policy run a command like

touch /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Receipts/PhotoshopRequest.pkg

and then update the inventory.

You could then create a smart group using the "Packages Installed By Casper" parameter and have it match whatever you called your dummy receipt (in this case, PhotoshopRequest.pkg). If you want to be notified, you can check the "Send email notification on membership change" box. That would set up your list of computers that want the software.

Once you've installed the requested package, you could remove the dummy receipt with an```
rm /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Receipts/PhotoshopRequest.pkg
```

Haven't tried this exact scenario, but I've done something similar to temporarily prevent a policy from firing on particular machines.