Create default Dock using Composer "User Environment" issues

johnklimeck
Contributor II

I have successfully captured the "Dock" .plist using Composer "User Environment" (as a DMG).

Uploaded it to Casper Admin and selected "Fill User Template"

I am pushing this out via Self Service, and for some reason, when I login as the user (AD Centrify), nothing.

Might someone have the exact steps (I seem to be missing something, etc.).

thx again in advance,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Was the user you logged in as an existing account on the Mac or a brand new one created after the push? The "Fill User Template" option drops the dock.plist file into /System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Preferences/. It will only apply to a new account created after it was placed there, provided it successfully got placed there. I suspect this may be the issue since you mentioned installing it from Self Service.

If you want to affect existing accounts (not really recommended in my opinion), you need to check the "Fill Existing Users" option for the package. Again, I don't personally recommend doing this since you'd be clobbering an existing user's Dock preferences. Not very user friendly, and in some cases it won't even work, but if you want to, that's how you'd do it.
There are better approaches to updating the Dock for existing user accounts.

The other possibility here is it may be something related to Centrify. Are you only using Centrify to allow AD logins, or are you also using it to control MCX settings? There is a full version with managed preferences controls, and a light version only for AD login.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Was the user you logged in as an existing account on the Mac or a brand new one created after the push? The "Fill User Template" option drops the dock.plist file into /System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Preferences/. It will only apply to a new account created after it was placed there, provided it successfully got placed there. I suspect this may be the issue since you mentioned installing it from Self Service.

If you want to affect existing accounts (not really recommended in my opinion), you need to check the "Fill Existing Users" option for the package. Again, I don't personally recommend doing this since you'd be clobbering an existing user's Dock preferences. Not very user friendly, and in some cases it won't even work, but if you want to, that's how you'd do it.
There are better approaches to updating the Dock for existing user accounts.

The other possibility here is it may be something related to Centrify. Are you only using Centrify to allow AD logins, or are you also using it to control MCX settings? There is a full version with managed preferences controls, and a light version only for AD login.

johnklimeck
Contributor II

Mike,

Thanks for reply and the explanation of what "FUT" does and how it does it. I then realized to just make those DMGs as part of the Casper Imaging config. Works perfectly, just what I wanted. Also doing the same with Finder and Sidebar.

Yes, working with Centrify Express.

thx again,

John