Creating Custom Profiles in JSS 9.22

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hi all,

Trying to create a profile in 9.22 with custom settings.

I fill out the "preference domain" then upload the plist, click save & it appears that the plist is not uploaded as a red blob/arrow appears next to "Upload Property List File."

Is anyone else seeing this?

11 REPLIES 11

pat_best
Contributor III

I am seeing the same thing. I have done this process successfully before but it seems I can't now. I do know that there is at least one issue with configuration profiles concerning the application of wireless settings. It is possible that there are more problems with this system. I am inclined to avoid configuration profiles until 9.23 is rolled out.

ewettach
New Contributor III

We were having a similar issue. After contacting support, running the command below on the plist file then allowed the converted file to be uploaded without issue.

sudo plutil -convert xml1 /path/to/com.someplist.plist

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

just seeing this as well :(

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

im also getting this when trying to upload a config profile using mcxToProfile

Also i have a config profile in my jss and when i try to remove a smart group from the scope i can see the the red arrow :(

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

You're not holding your mouth right, or you're standing on the wrong foot.

In all seriousness, it's picky. The plist you're uploading should be named to match the preference domain. Also, no binary plists.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Erm..sorry I don't understand your wit I'm afraid.

No I have been doing this for a very long time!

This is Defect D-005920

I get this when trying to upload a config profile which uploaded or modify a config profile setting already in the Jss and all was fine prior to jss 9.22

Please note I never upload a plist. I create my configuraion profiles the fantastic mcxToprofile.

*please note I didn't waste a lot of time for a change because I asked straight away about checking the defects.

pat_best
Contributor III

@bentoms, have you upgraded past 9.23 and are still having these issues?

bentoms

@pat.best, we're still on 9.22.

We might hold back until 9.3 tbh.

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

"Custom" Config Profile could mean two things.

I take it @bentoms is doing what I'm talking about: the Custom payload, which is where you upload a plist containing your settings. I've gotten this to work in 9.x, but I'm not sure if it was 9.22, and even when it did work, it took several attempts.

@tkimpton you are referring to a Config Profile you prepared by hand/tool (aka, "custom"), which is a different workflow (though it may well be affected by the same defect).

bentoms

@JPDyson, yep. that was what I meant.

dmarcnw
New Contributor III

After reading this post yesterday and through trial and error got the process down. I explain it all in here for any n00bs out there: http://flyingtoaste.rs/2016/05/deploying-google-chrome-preferences-in-casper/