Custom dict/plist for iOS?

jonlju
Contributor

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a way to create a custom configuration profile for an app and distribute it to all our iOS devices. The manual only has a guide on how to do it in VMWare Workspace One (where you just copy and paste the whole string into a "custom" field).

How do I do this in Jamf? Here's an example of what I need to distribute to all our iOS devices:

<dict>
  <key>FilterBrowsers</key>
  <true />
  <key>FilterSockets</key>
  <false />
</dict>

Kind regards,
Joni

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jcaleshire
New Contributor III

So I did a little digging, and you weren't kidding about sparse documentation for this thing. I was able to get the gist of what it is supposed to do, and from what I could gather it looks like the payload for this app needs to be configured as a Content Filter configuration. 

jcaleshire_0-1628870003394.png

When you create the iOS profile, you can add the Content Filter payload type, and change the filter type to plugin. It will need at least the display name and bundle ID of the filter, and also the kind of filter. It looks like you would want to configure it as a WebKit traffic filter, based on the snippet of the config you shared above. Any keys outside of the fields Jamf gives you can be added in the custom data section at the bottom. In many cases the username/password/service address aren't required, since the accompanying application handles the authentication aspect with the management server (Symantec Endpoint Protection and Carbon Black EDR are like this).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jcaleshire
New Contributor III

When you edit a configuration profile, there is a section in Applications & Custom Settings > Upload where you can paste the entire plist of your configuration. I'm fairly certain that this requires a full plist, complete with XML and plist headers. Also, what app's config are you looking to push?

Thanks for getting back to me @jcaleshire, I'm unsure how to convert the values I have into a full plist though. I'll keep digging.

It's for an application called Netclean ProTective. It's backend runs on a Windows server and in the configuration you get a dict-configuration (similar to above) that you need to distribute through your MDM, unfortunately it's quite new so they only provide guides on how to distribute and set it up on VMWare Workspace One.

jcaleshire
New Contributor III

So I did a little digging, and you weren't kidding about sparse documentation for this thing. I was able to get the gist of what it is supposed to do, and from what I could gather it looks like the payload for this app needs to be configured as a Content Filter configuration. 

jcaleshire_0-1628870003394.png

When you create the iOS profile, you can add the Content Filter payload type, and change the filter type to plugin. It will need at least the display name and bundle ID of the filter, and also the kind of filter. It looks like you would want to configure it as a WebKit traffic filter, based on the snippet of the config you shared above. Any keys outside of the fields Jamf gives you can be added in the custom data section at the bottom. In many cases the username/password/service address aren't required, since the accompanying application handles the authentication aspect with the management server (Symantec Endpoint Protection and Carbon Black EDR are like this).

@jcaleshireMany thanks for this, and sorry for the late reply to this. I didn't know I could add it as a content filter configuration, so I'll look into this.

I have a call with the company behind the application today so I'll look into this and see if we can get it working. Again, I appreciate the assistance with this!

jonlju
Contributor

Edited out.

jonlju
Contributor

We got this working, wohoo. Thanks for the help @jcaleshire, we're providing Netclean with some screenshots and information on how to set this up working in Jamf now so that it will be easier for other customers.