Lately I've noticed (this also happened to my coworkers) that when I log into JamfPro I find my dashboard loads for about a split second then disappears. I've tried the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.
Has anyone else run into this issue?
Anyone have a fix I haven't thought of?
Honestly it's not a big deal, but I'm of the mindset...if it's there...it should work.
Yeah this is happening to me every day at the moment. One day Safari worked ... the next day it doesn't. So, I use Google Chrome and then it works for a day or so and then when you log in, it just flashes, feel like I'm going to get seizures watching it.
Today, I tried both Safari and Chrome and can't get to the Polices or Prestage enrollment, just spinning circles.
Support ended up telling me that it is a known SSO bug. I fight with it all the time. Sometimes clearing cache, cookies and temp files fixes the issue. Sometimes opening a new tab and trying to load the page again will fix it.
I submitted fiddler trace captures to Jamf showing that there is a hang-up with the SSO process when it authenticates with Azure and it sits in a repetitive loop but Jamf support did not seem interested in finding the solution. I know that sounds a bit negative towards the support team and I'm sorry for that but it is frustrating when you have the error documented and there is still no solution offered.