I cannot relate to your support case but in mine the support was really
fast and reliable, in the end they helped deleting the problematic
object out of our cloud as we could not even delete it anymore.
We managed to fix it by deleting a computerobject we added just before
the dashboard problem occured. Dont know what exactly caused it, but as
soon as we removed it from our jss everything went back to normal
Hey @Lhsachs , i've managed to deploy it in our environment by first
chaching the necessary files via composer and then another composer
package that will install those files.Right now it seems to work just
fine, also with Catalina. The Avaya Workpla...