DeepFreeze Imaging Workflow

tlagrange
New Contributor III

Hello all,

We are imaging some laptop carts with deepfreeze and I was interested to see if anyone had a workflow for this that worked for them. I am running into a problem where I have some scripts that run after reboot that are not actually affecting the machine. Here's my current imaging workflow:

1. Base install with software and misc. packages run first all at priority 1-10.
  2. Before reboot, the custom DeepFreeze installer runs (set to boot as frozen). Set to priority 11 and requires restart.
  3. The first script that runs (assuming it runs in alphabetical order) is thawTargetPartition.sh.
  4. Then, the rest of my scripts run.
  5. Finally, freezeTargetPartition.sh runs.

It seemed infinitely easier to me to set the custom DeepFreeze installer to just boot thawed on the first (or even the second) but when I did that, the installer did not actually install deepFreeze.

Just interested to see if anyone has any experience with this they'd be willing to share.

5 REPLIES 5

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@tlagrange have you tried using those scripts you've linked to? Unless you're using a really old version of the software I don't think they will work for you without editing them. The path to the command line binary isn't correct. I had to modify all the scripts to work with the version of Deep Freeze we are currently using.

donparfet
Contributor

@ tlagrange
We have used DF for Windows for years, but not for Mac. I have had best success with DF by ensuing it is the absolute last thing to install. I also have had best success in ensuring that all other tasks are complete, rebooting, then installing DF and locking the machine initially, then thawing the machine after install/lock

As I have experienced some strange Casper behavior trying to run too many scripts in one policy, I might suggest setting a policy to install DF based on a custom trigger so that when your imaging/install process completes, it then calls the DF install policy

tlagrange
New Contributor III

@mpermann Thank you! I took a look @ the script and yes, it was way outdated so I've updated it.

@donparfet Thank you for the suggestion; would making it a policy that runs on startup allow that to happen? I've never used a custom trigger - is there a hardcoded one for imaging complete or something along those lines?

donparfet
Contributor

@ tlagrange
Here are two good discussions on custom triggers, how to create them and how to use them

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=14361
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=11960

ninob116
New Contributor

Would setting up Deep Freeze work using DEP?