Defer Mac OS Updates for 30 days not working

RPA_Sma4
New Contributor III

Hi, I have a configuration profile set to defer Mac OS software updates for 30 days. I know this is only for point updates and major updates, however it still does not appear to be functioning properly.

My understanding is that it would prevent the update from appearing on the computers, however today, all of our Macs are receiving notifications that an update for MacOS Big Sur is available to install.

Is there something I'm missing on why this is not working?
A profile also enables automatic updates for security updates.

2 REPLIES 2

garybidwell
Contributor III

I believe if its the same as iOS then Mac's have to be supervised i.e ADE (DEP) enrolled and its also version specific what can be controlled.
Apple details its functionality here:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mdm/mdm02df57e2a/web

MLBZ521
Contributor III

Per the Configuration Profile Reference the keys are supported on 10.13.4+ and Supervised. That said, on Big Sur, all User Approved MDM enrollments (UAMDM) are Supervised, so won't be as big a deal going forward.

forceDelayedSoftwareUpdates Boolean
Supervised only. If set to true, delays user visibility of Software Updates. Defaults to false.
On macOS, seed build updates will be allowed, without delay.
Availability: Available in iOS 11.3 and macOS 10.13 and tvOS 12.2 and later.

enforcedSoftwareUpdateDelay Integer
Supervised only. This restriction allows the admin to set how many days a software update on the device will be delayed. With this restriction in place, the user will not see a software update until the specified number of days after the software update release date.
The max is 90 days and the default value is 30.
Availability: Available in iOS 11.3 and macOS 10.13.4 and tvOS 12.2 later