Delete com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist

martin
Contributor III

Hi,

I want to delete the com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist (~/Library/Preferences/) for the user that's currently logging in. I tried to do this with a policy:
Search for file by path: ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist and Delete if found.

This doesn't work because it can't find the file (cause it's using the casper account?).
Is this possible with a variable e.g. /Users/$1/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist? $1 doesn't work.

If I use a script which variable tells me the login name of the user?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Martin van Diemen

t +31(0) 205677744

G-Star International B.V.
www.g-star.com

8 REPLIES 8

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

username is $3
$1 is the mount point of the target drive
$2 is the computer name

$4 through $11 are configurable.

----------
Miles A. Leacy IV

? Certified System Administrator 10.4
? Certified Technical Coordinator 10.5
? Certified Trainer
Certified Casper Administrator
----------
voice: 1-347-277-7321
miles.leacy at themacadmin.com
www.themacadmin.com

Not applicable

What version of Casper are you using? There was a bug in 6.0 that caused $3 to not be set, Casper 6.01 fixed this.

Ryan Harter
UW - Stevens Point
Workstation Developer
Ryan.Harter at uwsp.edu

martin
Contributor III

Hi Miles,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried to make use of the $3 variable but the strange thing is that it's empty. We're making use of Active Directory. Could this have something to do with it?

Best wishes for 2009 to you all!

Kind Regards,

Martin van Diemen

t +31(0) 205677744

www.g-star.com

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

What is the script triggered by? I would set it to login or logout to be
sure that there is a username available. If it runs on another trigger, you
risk the possibility that no one is logged in.

----------
Miles A. Leacy IV

? Certified System Administrator 10.4
? Certified Technical Coordinator 10.5
? Certified Trainer
Certified Casper Administrator
----------
voice: 1-347-277-7321
miles.leacy at themacadmin.com
www.themacadmin.com

martin
Contributor III

Triggered by login. I also tested the script when an user was logged in.

Kind Regards,

Martin van Diemen

t +31(0) 205677744

www.g-star.com

martin
Contributor III

The version that has been installed is 6.01

Kind Regards,

Martin van Diemen

t +31(0) 205677744

www.g-star.com

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

I have a search and destroy policy that searches out files by type or by name and deletes them. You don't need a script as it is a one liner command. Keeping it simple is the way to go in my humble opinion. If you want to get specific you can script it out and make it more robust.

Here are some examples:

/usr/bin/find /Users/* -name "full_filename.extension" -print -delete

That will search the /Users folder and delete all files to test it out just use the -print option first and leave out the delete option. Then once you confirmed it works add back in the delete. Working for a public school system I get to search and destroy some creative user created content that gets passed around from time to time.

If you are looking to delete a certain file type across the board you can add to the find command with regex and since home folder synchronizing is not perfect it syncs things that are not suppose to be there, and then I have to play janitor on the file servers. An example of that is:

/usr/sbin/find -x -E /path/to/share -regex '.*.(m[4po][34agpv]|mpeg|aac|asf|wmv)' -print -delete

That deletes pretty much any file with those extensions in the file name, MP3, MP4, AAC, mpeg, so on and so forth. So that should give you something to work with and with the find command set the path to a narrow scope, otherwise it will just search the root of the drive and that can take forever to run

Hope that helps

Thomas Larkin
TIS Department
KCKPS USD500
tlarki at kckps.org
blackberry: 913-449-7589
office: 913-627-0351

kirk_magill
New Contributor

/usr/bin/find /Users/* -name "full_filename.extension" -print -delete Worked Great for me.