Deleting all user settings

monosodium
Contributor

After making my image and deploying it I am noticing some miscellaneous user settings that are persisting no matter what I try. For instance, when launching Safari it loads a random "barebones.com" site, which I am assuming I launched during the creation of some software package along the way; I have dozens of packages so tracking this down is not really feasible this late in the deployment.

I have tried creating MCX Profiles to change the homepage and even set the properties of new windows (new windows work fine but the first page opened remains unchanged). I have tried to manually delete the settings and save them to composer and then deploy them via policy. No go.

So my question is: How do you go about deleting all user settings that may exist post-imaging?

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Where are you seeing these settings come up? In a new user account created after imaging? Or under an existing account captured in the image? I assume the former based on how you described the issue. If so, it sounds like maybe you pushed some settings with the FUT (fill user template) option checked and the settings are now stored in the User Template directory. You can try removing any possible culprit plist files there but you'll need to do that from a root shell in Terminal since you can't browse that directory in the Finder.

monosodium
Contributor

The iMacs are in a lab setting with AD credentials as the authentication method. The settings are pushed to all users that log in, which is why I get really confused.