Deleting All Users from a Shared iPad

jcole01
New Contributor II

I have created a Greasemonkey script that add a "Remove All" button to JAMF for shared users.

You will need the Greasemonkey extension (or similar ie. tampermonkey) and the script here JDSS. I've only tested with Greasemonkey and the latest Firefox but i'd imagine it will work fine with any of them.

Apple's shared iPads have a limit of 10 cached AppleIDs. When that limit is hit, the iPad will not allow additional users to log in. You then have two options: wipe the device or delete the users from the MDM. JAMF does allow deleting the users one at a time through their interface. Unfortunately, you cannot queue up the delete commands. An error will appear when click the button until the previous command is no longer pending.

This script automates the process. It will repeatedly send the delete user command (every 2 seconds for up to 60 seconds) until it goes through at which point it moves on to the next user.

I'm sure Apple or JAMF or both will eventually release something to address this problem but for now, this works.

5 REPLIES 5

Krbonus
Contributor

Hi there @jcole01 , I've always thought that if that 10 user is exceeded and an 11th user tries to log in - the oldest user will be deleted or cached if you have caching servers. Is this not the case?

We're planning on rolling out Shared iPads soon.

jcole01
New Contributor II

@Krbonus Unfortunately no. I have heard from other people that this is how it is supposed to work but it hasn't worked for us. In our experience, the 11th user simply fails. They login, go to a spinning gear, then get kicked out to the login screen. It's possible something has changed recently but as of the beginning of the school we were still stuck.

Aside from that they work great. We've had very few issues with the shared iPad experience. They just require a little classroom management from the teacher so each student in each class uses their assigned iPad.

Krbonus
Contributor

@jcole01 I appreciate your input. Thanks

stritas
New Contributor

My understanding is the it will only automatically remove one of the existing users so long as a users doesn't have anything that hasn't synced.

karen_spencer
New Contributor

Shared iPad is not removing a user to allow the 11th to sign in for us either.