DEP Macs w/ nuke/pave distribution

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

We're looking to get DEP rolling for the sake that sometimes machines seem to wander off, but we also use the wipe and reload method for deploying machines. so, any issues with using DEP and the wipe and reload method? anything we should watch out for?

any issues if we setup the prestage enrollment but don't actual doing anything with them other than add them to the PSE section in the JSS?

4 REPLIES 4

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

Nuke and pave works fine with DEP, just makes sure the Mac runs through Setup Assistant when it starts up after imaging.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

@adamcodega ohh. good tip. course, I have no systems coming to me to test this out really. hmm.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

@adamcodega just so I'm clear, I would remove this stuff from my first boot script?

# Disables iCloud pop-up on first login for Macs

for USER_TEMPLATE in "/System/Library/User Template"/*
  do
    defaults write "${USER_TEMPLATE}"/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SetupAssistant DidSeeCloudSetup -bool TRUE
    defaults write "${USER_TEMPLATE}"/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SetupAssistant GestureMovieSeen none
    defaults write "${USER_TEMPLATE}"/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SetupAssistant LastSeenCloudProductVersion "${sw_vers}"
    defaults write "${USER_TEMPLATE}"/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SetupAssistant LastSeenBuddyBuildVersion "${sw_build}"
  done
##Move the mini launcher to keep the icloud prompts from happening on new user setup
mv /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/SharedSupport/MiniLauncher /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/SharedSupport/MiniLauncher.backup

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

I would do that as well as ensuring Setup Assistant launches.

Additionally, I might make a vanilla OS image using AutoDMG. You don't need to use your normal imaging workflow per se.