DEP mandatory for iOS 9.3 Shared iPad function

tobiaslinder
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi guys
In the documentation for iOS 9.3 Shared iPad it says

"Shared iPad requires a mobile device management (MDM) solution"

but I can't figure out how to activate the "Shared iPad" function. Only in DEP Prestage enrollment I can activate it. So the basic question is if DEP is mandatory for this function to work.

7 REPLIES 7

jonnydford
Contributor II

According to this

4. Get supervised and managed Many of the new features in iOS 9.3—such as Classroom app and Lost Mode—require your iOS devices be supervised and managed by a mobile device management (MDM) server like the Casper Suite.

tobiaslinder
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi @jonnydford Thanks for the link but they say that you need to have devices in supervised for Classroom app and Lost Mode but no word about what is required for Shared iPads :-(

bumbletech
Contributor III

You were able to set that in the Configurator 2 betas when preparing an iPad. Not sure where it went in the recent release, but then again, I don't have any devices on hand that meet the requirements so I might not be seeing it for that reason.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@tobiaslinder JSS 9.9 will be released 31/03/16, this should have the iOS 9.3 stuff.

But if you cannot wait, you can sign up for the beta.

tobiaslinder
Contributor II
Contributor II

@bentoms I am already testing out 9.9 beta for weeks and love the new features. But as far as I know shared iPad can only be activated during the supervision process and so this either works over DEP or for non-DEP machines over Apple Configurator but the setting seems to be missing in the newest version of Configurator.

scottt
New Contributor

It looks like when you setup supervision in a blueprint the shared iPad option is turned on by default

I too am looking for the Shared iPad option in Apple Configurator.

However I want to turn it off, I have created a new blueprint and when setting up supervision it is on by default after the wizard, the problem is if I apply the blueprint to an iPad it will ask for an Apple ID and Password after I setup the Wifi on the device, which I have never set!

If anyone can find this option please help!

scottt
New Contributor

Ok so I have needed to load up the Beta of Apple Configurator 2 to get the Enable Shared iPad option to show and uncheck. Once I did that, quit the beta and loaded up the full version and it is now not shared.

Looks like the check box is missing from the final release!! 5a688d4cacfa4aa888fe0d95524ae6e4