DEP/Prestage questions

lehmanp00
Contributor III

We are just getting to use the DEP program and I have just enrolled the JSS with DEP. I was hoping to get some questions answered.

1. I am thinking the workflow is:

>Add S/N or invoice numbers to the DEP site to associate each device to DEP >Setup a prestage profile in JSS >Turn on the device

Am I missing something?

1. Is the Serial number enrollment new? Is it meant for existing devices that you can pull the S/N from a MDM for?

2. I see JSS allow you to pick an "Enrollment Site". How do you differentiate a device to a site during the process?

3. Is the "User and Location" Option just really for an inventory purpose or does it have a more important role?

4. Does the Scope show devices as they are enrolled during activation?

5. I see you can "Require Authentication". Does each device have to have a user associated to it?

Thank you very much for any help!

3 REPLIES 3

qhle373
Contributor

You generally have to wait until that device populates in your prestage area. Once it does, click edit, and check the box next to the device for supervision. Save and now the device will enroll during setup. If its already setup, you usually have to erase and/or restore the device to trigger that setup again.

Serial enrollment is just if you don't have easy access to the Order #. Order # enrollment is good when you have more than one device you need to add into your DEP.

User and location pulls from Active Directory (in our case) when they authenticate for enrollment.

We have a policy for all enrolled devices with a Smart search for recent enrollments so we can track them. (We also get e-mail alerts for additions to our all enrolled devices group)

Require Authentication triggers in the setup of the device. It does assign that device to the user, and as a security, it does not allow the device to be used by non-company users.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi,
One thing Imissd on first go round is that you can create multiple MDM Servers on the Apple Side, so when you add devices you can choose which MDM server to add them to.
This might be a useful additional organizational top.
To do this you just upload another copy of the server token and give it another name

lehmanp00
Contributor III

Sandy,

So then in the JSS you can add it as another DEP enrollment service? With different settings?