Deploying a Lotus Notes upgrade

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

I'm having trouble finding a way to quit the existing Notes app. if it's already running. I can't use a login/logout policy since many users rarely do that, sigh.

Anyway, Notes does not respond to 'killall Notes' because it runs in Eclipse, and 'killall eclipse' does nothing.

I've found a script in the application bundle, nsd.sh which will do the trick when run manually with a -kill option. But when I run that as a before script in a policy (although it does kill Notes), it get ton of junk in the log and it flags as failed.My scripting magic is weak as well, sigh.

Anyone been into this before?
Thanks,

Darrin

6 REPLIES 6

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

i haven't touched notes in years (i'm fine with that), but you should be able to kill it. discover the process names, and you should be good to go.

or, you can alert users the upgrade needs to happen, force a logout/restart, then install on logout/restart to ensure the app's not running at all.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

We run <grumble grumble> Sametime here and I was able to kill it forcibly with

killall -m eclipse

Give that a try. Running that was the best I've felt all day...

acdesigntech
Contributor II

I wrote a script to search and kill processes (it's for suitcase fusion, but replace the fusion string with whatever process you need). Modify as you like:

#!/bin/sh

sfClientApp=$(ps -ax | grep -i "
Suitcase Fusion 2.app/Contents/MacOS/Suitcase Fusion 2" | grep -vi "grep" | awk ' { print $1 } ')
if [ -n "$sfClientApp" ]; then
sudo kill -s KILL "$sfClientApp" > /dev/null 2>&1
fi
echo "Done"

If interested, a link to my article about it: http://acdesigntech.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/search-for-and-kill-a-running-process/

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

Jared-- I got excited by the suggestion (I didn't try with -m), but that did not work.

Andrew-- I'll definitely keep your script in my duffel bag, but Notes is a crappy app., with about a dozen executables inside the bundle. Yuck.

thanks though.

acdesigntech
Contributor II

yeah i hate apps like that. CA's eTrust did that with their igateway process. Couldn't kill it except with a killall, but it would respawn anyway, even if you've already removed the rest of the app and daemons. Had to restart to get rid of it.

For a clean uninstall, I'll usually go through and script killing all the processes though. I don't like using killall except when I have no other choice. Personal preference thing.

rcurran
Contributor

Try killall -9 eclipse