Deploying Script (or something) to Allow Accessibility Changes on Non-Admin Accounts

Eisiminger
New Contributor III

For our state testing this year, the state of Kansas has a client that they want everyone to download. This client has to be able to control the computers it's installed on through Accessibility (In the Security & Privacy settings.) Now, we have close to 2,000 students with Macbook Airs in our one to one, and we need to figure out a way to be able to add that client to the Accessibility list without having to touch all of these computers. Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Take a look here:
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=9102

Disclaimer: I haven't tried the instructions outlined in the above thread on Yosemite, so I don't know if this still works. It probably does, but you'll need to test it out and see. (I'm assuming you may need to do this on 10.10 Macs)

jacob_salmela
Contributor II

via tccutil.py

# Add app to Accessibility database using the bundle ID
sudo tccutil.py --insert com.smileonmymac.textexpander
# Enable (if necessary)
sudo tccutil.py --enable com.smileonmymac.textexpander

via the built-in sqlite3 command:

sudo sqlite3 /Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db "INSERT or REPLACE INTO access VALUES('kTCCServiceAccessibility','com.apple.RemoteDesktopAgent',1,1,1,NULL)"

Just replace the bundle ID for whatever your application is.

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

+1 for tccutil.py it's been working great for me over the last six months

EdLuo
Contributor II

Neither solution works in Mac OS Sierra because TCC.db is now protected by SIP. :(

jacob_salmela
Contributor II

Nope. =(

joshua
New Contributor

Does anyone have any idea on Sierra (since it is read only now) how we can add jamfAgent with the box checked in Accessibility?

jacob_salmela
Contributor II

If you are willing to disable SIP, the aforementioned solutions should still work,

gabester
Contributor III

Any solutions in the past 6 months, clever or otherwise, for managing this? #ObviouslyNotWillingToDisableSIP #HostileUserExperience

How are we supposed to manage apps that require access when we restrict users from changing the Security & Privacy prefpane (and why is this specific feature there instead of under Accessibility where it used to reside?)

Rocky
New Contributor III

Another 6+ months.

Also not going to disable SIP. How are others dealing with this? Manually setting individual machines (for hundreds/thousands of machines)?

musat
Contributor III

So no way to accomplish this without disabling SIP? It looks like we now need to do this for Lanschool on our 2400 student Macs.