Deploying Software

amorse
New Contributor II

Hey all, what's your favorite way of packaging up software for deployment in Jamf? Is composer still the way to go or is there a better solution?

I'm mostly focused on M1 versions of Chrome, Slack, and Chrome for new macs I'm deploying.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@amorse In my opinion creating a package in Composer should be your last resort. If at all possible use AutoPkg (and the AutoPkgr GUI for it) to automate checks for, and downloads of, new installers which can either be manually or automatically uploaded to your JSS. You'll find many pre-built recipes, and can define your own as needed.

Another option is Installomator which is script that can be deployed and run via Jamf Pro to directly download and install download a large list of applications. You can add apps as needed, and the built-in list is constantly being updated.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

When it comes to free applications, I prefer to script my software deployment that way I don't have to keep updating the package. I use the script to curl to download the latest installer file and then install it. If I can't script the installer file then I use Composer to package the installer. I haven't tried my scripts yet on the M1 macs yet since I haven't received any new Macs to test with.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@amorse In my opinion creating a package in Composer should be your last resort. If at all possible use AutoPkg (and the AutoPkgr GUI for it) to automate checks for, and downloads of, new installers which can either be manually or automatically uploaded to your JSS. You'll find many pre-built recipes, and can define your own as needed.

Another option is Installomator which is script that can be deployed and run via Jamf Pro to directly download and install download a large list of applications. You can add apps as needed, and the built-in list is constantly being updated.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

AutoPKG is definitely the way to go for third party packages. The catalog is extensive and the tool itself is well-documented and well-maintained.

amorse
New Contributor II

Wow, you guys are THE best. Thanks to everyone for the input.