Deploying Student Macbooks

JCCL
New Contributor III

Hi Everyone -

We are going to be deploying Macbook Airs to some students in our high school in the fall. I am curious how those of you that already have this in place deploy them. What your workflow in Jamf looks like, how do you handle distributing the Macbooks, and how do you handle the student's first sign-on?

We moved to Macbook Pros for the teachers 2 years ago so I am still relatively new to Jamf. The workflow I used for the teachers was to run them through a prestage which pulled down the configs, policies, and Jamf Connect (with MS AAD). Once the teacher logged in, DEPNotify handled the rest of the process such as having them enter their name, building, etc., and then it finished up the software installs. DEPNotify was not running 100% of the time for some reason, but that was easy to fix with only a few teachers. I don't think this approach would be successful with students, 450 of them at that. 

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

YanW
Contributor III

We also will be deploying 300+ Mac this year. We're going to use custom event script for all policies which set to trigger at Enrollment Complete. Students sign into Jamf Connect, from start to finish, no need to do anything. It'll force restart to apply any policies/app that required. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

YanW
Contributor III

We also will be deploying 300+ Mac this year. We're going to use custom event script for all policies which set to trigger at Enrollment Complete. Students sign into Jamf Connect, from start to finish, no need to do anything. It'll force restart to apply any policies/app that required. 

JCCL
New Contributor III
When I did testing for our teacher deployment I found the enrollment
complete trigger to be pretty unreliable. I’m hopeful that has been
improved since then. I’d be interested in learning about your script, or
even just an outline of it! --

Jason

--
Jason Christenson | IT Director
Clear Lake Community Schools
1529 3rd Avenue North
Clear Lake, IA 50428
www.clearlakeschools.org

mickgrant
Contributor III

Enrollment complete is buggy if you try to use it for multiple policies. I do not recommend it.

The way I do it is I have a single script that runs on enrollment complete that calls other policies, after it's sure that setup assistant has finished.

#!/bin/bash

####################################################
# ENROLLEMNT SCRIPT to call must run Jamf policy   #
# Created by mgrant1@arm.catholic.edu.au on 6/9/19 #
####################################################

#
# Check if Setup Assistance Process is Still Running.
# If yes, wait till it finishes so this script will NOT proceed while running the Setup Assistant (Location Settings..etc)
#

SetupAssistance_process=$(/bin/ps auxww | grep -q "[S]etup Assistant.app")
while [ $? -eq 0 ]
do
    /bin/echo "Setup Assistant Still Running... Sleep for 2 seconds..."
    /bin/sleep 2
    SetupAssistance_process=$(/bin/ps auxww | grep -q "[S]etup Assistant.app")
done

# Call self service policy
jamf policy -trigger rosetta_2
# Call self service policy
jamf policy -trigger main_self_service
#call DEP notify policy
jamf policy -trigger DEP_Notify

exit 0