Device in ASM shows it is assigned to JAMF but it is not in JAMF

tsoron
New Contributor

I am migrating iPads from JAMF to INTUNE.  One particular device is not showing up in JAMF yet it is showing managed by JAMF on the device.

If I change the device MDM to INTUNE in ASM, will it allow me to erase and reset accordingly?  OR do I need to release from organisation and add again to ASM?

Thanks.

Peter.

1 REPLY 1

Fluffy
Contributor III

The management profile will stay on the device even if you switch it in ASM, which would then leave you unable to send any commands to the device. There are two ways you can go about this (that I know of):

1. If you haven't already switched management of the iPads, you can send an erase command from JAMF. Once erased, DO NOT continue through set up. Then migrate iPads to the new management in ISM, set up ADE and other settings in Intune as needed, and go back to set up the devices.
  2. Switch management in ASM for all of the iPads and use Apple Configurator 2 to Restore (erase and reinstall) the iPads through a MacBook. Continue with setting up the iPads once ADE and other settings in Intune have been configured.

Releasing from the org will be a huge pain in the butt and should not be done unless the device is being sold / recycled / disposed.