Disable Airplane Mode

frank_arena
New Contributor

I am looking for a solution to disable/hide the ability to activate Airplane Mode on iPadOS. I work in a K-12 school district and we have lots of devices around for various needs. Some offsite as well. Students and/or parents are turning on airplane mode and not allowing us to communicate with the device. I understand they can just disconnect from their own network but I'm trying to mitigate possibilities for no connection. If there is a way, pleas let me know what you got. 

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Apple's Config Profile reference doc doesn't mention anything related to airplane mode. Have you tried a profile that forces wifi to remain on? Also - do you have support with Apple? I'd ask them.

View solution in original post

I have test the restriction of powering off the Wi-Fi in the past. It might be my best bet to target specific devices with this. Thank you.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

I don't think you can disable Airplane mode. There are federal laws around Airplane mode and being able to enable it when instructed to. Being able to remove the option to disable Airplane mode with MDM would cause an individual to be in violation of federal law, and Apple is probably considering that.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Mentioning Airplane mode makes me think - are they all cellular enabled devices with active plans?  If not, you're not trying to target Airplane Mode anyway, you're definitely after force-enabling on wifi. Restrictions > functionality > wi-fi power off and restrict it.

4 REPLIES 4

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Apple's Config Profile reference doc doesn't mention anything related to airplane mode. Have you tried a profile that forces wifi to remain on? Also - do you have support with Apple? I'd ask them.

I have test the restriction of powering off the Wi-Fi in the past. It might be my best bet to target specific devices with this. Thank you.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

I don't think you can disable Airplane mode. There are federal laws around Airplane mode and being able to enable it when instructed to. Being able to remove the option to disable Airplane mode with MDM would cause an individual to be in violation of federal law, and Apple is probably considering that.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Mentioning Airplane mode makes me think - are they all cellular enabled devices with active plans?  If not, you're not trying to target Airplane Mode anyway, you're definitely after force-enabling on wifi. Restrictions > functionality > wi-fi power off and restrict it.