Disable Lock on Sleep/Screensaver after 10.13.14+???

chrisdaggett
Contributor II

Good morning!

I am trying to find some way to turn off the "require password after *".

Config profile lets you SET a time, but unchecking it does not turn it off on the machines.

As of 10.13.4 "defaults write com.apple.screensaver askForPassword" also no longer works.

I am at a loss, who has a fix? :).

P.s. I DO! First post has the answer.

7 REPLIES 7

chrisdaggett
Contributor II

Found the answer finally. Upload a custom configuration will fix it!

In Bbedit/textwrangler/etc save this as com.apple.screensaver.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>askForPassword</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Create new Configuration profile, choose Custom Setting
Preference Domain is com.apple.screensaver upload the above and push it out!

No more locking!

KAD
New Contributor II

Hi!
Thank you so much for this -- I needed this for a lab, was at a loss due to the OS changes and this works beautifully!
Five Stars!

rcole
Contributor

Thanks, @chrisdaggett. This sounds awesome.

For clarity purposes, are you uploading the revised com.apple.screensaver.plist with the:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict> <key>askForPassword</key> <integer>0</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

and then naming the configuration profile com.apple.finder.plist? If so, why did you go with that naming convention instead of com.apple.screensaver.plist.

Please let me know...

chrisdaggett
Contributor II

@rcole @KAD rcole thank you for pointing that out, the name should be com.apple.screensaver - NOT Finder. That was a brain fart as I was typing up that reply. I have fixed my post above.

iRyan23
New Contributor III

@chrisdaggett

I tried this but keep getting this error when trying to upload to the config profile:

b1f3f4c9da3d460f80f65dc99a0473aa

Any ideas?

chrisdaggett
Contributor II

@iRyan23 add .plist to the end of the text file and that should do it. My fault sorry I left that out ;)

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

The only way to set it past 10.13.4 is a config profile. This setting has been migrated since then to a local items keychain. Touching a file on disk or scripting it will not work. File radars with Apple if you would like to see a different behavior, because it definitely could use some improvements.

So, basically, if you script it, it is no longer going to work, and the only way to really set it for sure is by using a Configuration Profile for it.