Disable saving on mac only google file stream

EliasG
Contributor

Has anyone figured out a setting/script where users can only save to google file/stream.

I want to block them from saving on the mac itself, and the only reason i want to do this is that we're tired of getting work orders from Teachers saying were getting the pop up to update and we cant because we don't have enough room etc etc. Thoughts?

1 REPLY 1

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

You could:

A) make every computer auto login to the Guest account. That'll solve your storage problem.

B) wipe the computers over the summer, nothing beats a fresh start

C) delete individual mobile logins and their associated folders (gross)

OR You can change the culture today.
You can kill the pop up notification for upgrading. Scope to everyone and frequency Ongoing.

#!/bin/sh
rm -rf /Library/Bundles/OSXNotification.bundle

softwareupdate --ignore macOSInstallerNotification_GM

We block the upgrade installation using restricted software until we can fully test the new OS with our existing software and hardware (mainly smartpanels). Change the culture, don't plug holes in dikes. Your staff needs to know when it IS ok for them to upgrade. Any teacher who chooses to be an early adopter does so with the knowledge not everything is going to be perfect. This is reserved for our more tech savvy users and "browser" users (i.e. they do everything in Chrome anyways).

TLDR: Block the notification, Block the installer and let them know when its okay for them to install the upgrade. We don't do OS upgrades at the drop of a hat, nobody needs that.