Disable Screen Mirroring

Eskobar
Contributor

How Can I disable mirroring hp screen on macOS ? Displaylink driver is useless. screens are connected using

Hi all,

Monitor: 2 x HPE27ED G4 QHD

Connection: 

Test 1: Monitors linked to each other by Display Port cable and one of them is linked to Mac using Usb-c cable.

Test 2: Monitors linked to Mac using g Usb-c cable each: only one monitor can make display

No docking station to test.

Anyone else struggling :) ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

piotrr
Contributor III

From m2 specs page: 

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and:

• One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

What this also means is that M1 and M2 computers do _not_ have Thunderbolt 4, since the definition of Thunderbolt 4 includes support for dual 4K displays, which is impossible here. 

View solution in original post

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

DisplayLink is a driver suite for DisplayLink Docks, if you don't have the dock then the software does nothing. 

My current setup.

I typically use a MBP16 which does not need the dock to power 2x displays. However, my test M1 MBA will run both displays fine with this dock due to the DisplayLink Software. The only problem I have with the DisplayLink Software is macOS refuses to use the dock without the software unlike Windows which will at least use the docks basic functions.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Eskobar macOS does not support DisplayPort multiplexing so you can't have multiple monitors on one cable chain, and Macs with the M1 or M2 processors only support 1 external display unless using a DisplayLink dock (M1/M2 Pro/Max/Ultra Macs will support >1 external displays)

piotrr
Contributor III

From m2 specs page: 

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and:

• One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

What this also means is that M1 and M2 computers do _not_ have Thunderbolt 4, since the definition of Thunderbolt 4 includes support for dual 4K displays, which is impossible here. 

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

DisplayLink is a driver suite for DisplayLink Docks, if you don't have the dock then the software does nothing. 

My current setup.

I typically use a MBP16 which does not need the dock to power 2x displays. However, my test M1 MBA will run both displays fine with this dock due to the DisplayLink Software. The only problem I have with the DisplayLink Software is macOS refuses to use the dock without the software unlike Windows which will at least use the docks basic functions.

Sanchi
Contributor

Install this handy binary from fcanas to toggle mirroring settings:

https://github.com/fcanas/mirror-displays

Then use this syntax in a policy or script:

/usr/local/bin/mirror -on
/usr/local/bin/mirror -off