Disable USB Storage access

jrb
New Contributor III

I've seen it asked a couple times before but it seems something has recently changed in macOS 10.14.2

I need to disable all external drive access R/RW. We've been doing it by preventing the kext from loading but users are reporting they suddenly have access again.
I found this setting in config profiles. Anyone using this successfully?

e4fd493316fc4b91a90280d0a0b5fe29

12 REPLIES 12

cpresnall
Contributor

We've recently implemented this in JP 10.9. Simply uncheck the Allow box and push the profile to your users. Once the profile is received, the drives are prevented from mounting as storage.

Jamf Protect is currently not working for me to disable USB ports.

jonathan_rudge
New Contributor III

Doesn't work for me, Ive applied the configuration and unticked external drives and it still mounts a drive.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jonathan.rudge Have you restarted the Mac after pushing the profile? Or at least logged out and back in again? It's been a while since I tried this setting, but IIRC it didn't take effect until restart/login.

taylorducharme
New Contributor III

I use that, here is a screen grab of my configuration. 95016460045b4e63acc6dafa27a5d1ef

mani2care
Contributor

Yep I was tried but there is any way to know the extension attribute to aware of the blocked status "USB"

mDelhi
New Contributor

Any way to disable USB mass storage device in macOS 11 without third party software, may be script or JAMF proposed a new kind of solution

jlombardo
Contributor

I was messing around with this, and noticed that in Read Only Access Iphones can still get files transferred to them.

Has anyone else experienced this or found a way to block this?   The only change I have in my config policy is External Disks are set to read only.

ergi
New Contributor

Is this going away on Big Sur and above ?

It already gone and now we need third party software to control USB devices, as I could remember symantec is doing the job

stevenjklein
Contributor II

Jamf has announced support for this in Jamf Protect:

https://www.jamf.com/blog/jamf-protect-beta-new-usb-storage-controls-jnuc-2021/

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Version 2022.1 of Google's Santa tool added support for USB Mass Storage blocking: https://github.com/google/santa