Disabling FileVault via configuration profile doesn't really work?

lisanelson2
New Contributor III

Having concluded that FileVault isn't going to be a good idea in our domain-joined, student lab environment, I have made a configuration profile to disable it. This configuration profile is applied during the pre-stage enrollment – i.e. as early as it possibly can be. I have verified that it is indeed applying within seconds of the computer getting past the voiceover setup prompts. And yet, the first user who logs in, gets a big prompt for enabling FileVault, *with enabling it checked by default*, i.e. enabling it!

If I manually uncheck the box and click Continue, and then go look in System Settings, FileVault says that it is disabled by policy and does not allow the user to change it! So the configuration profile is clearly applying, but it seems not to prevent the first user being prompted anyway.

Any idea how I can stop the first user getting this prompt?

(The funny thing is, before I created the configuration profile to disable FileVault, the first user was NOT prompted in this way. I was only creating the configuration profile to prevent...incidents. Now it appears to be a problem whether I do a configuration profile or not.)

Thanks,
Lisa.

3 REPLIES 3

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Your configuration profile will need to also be scoped to the relevant computer group, as PreStage config profiles are not persistent. It's probably being applied and then immediately removed after enrollment.

lisanelson2
New Contributor III

Nope, it definitely is scoped to an appropriate group. I did that first, and then thought that maybe it wasn't applying early enough, and tacked it on to the pre-stage enrollment on the grounds that that should be the earliest it could possibly go on. So at no time does it come out of scope. There is no removal of it in the management history.

Plus the weirdness where I was never prompted about FileVault at all, before I created this configuration profile.

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Take a look at the resulting configuration in the following directory to see what's actually being enforced:

/Library/ManagedPreferences/com.apple.MCX.FileVault2.plist

I wonder if you have more than one profile enforcing a FileVault configuration? Do you have any FileVault policies?