Disabling Force Touch and Look up & data detectors

philcebutv
New Contributor III

Does anyone know how to disable Force Touch and Look up & detectors on the new retina MacBooks using profiles.

I have played around a bit of it and I found out that it uses a plist called com.apple.AppleMultiTouchTrackpad.plist under the user's library - Preferences.

I created a profile config with the same entry as the plist and have pushed it out to our new retina MacBooks pro but the profile does not take effect.

The reason we wanted to disable this feature is that it causes some of our app crashing, sometimes in spinning beachball

Was wondering if anyone had tried this and is there any plist that i need to look at aside from the one mentioned above

Phil

3 REPLIES 3

philcebutv
New Contributor III

Just to update this thread i was able to disable force touch by using mcxtoprofile setting it to set-once.

rjdouglas
New Contributor

for 10.13 global preference in user preference folder: defaults write NSGlobalDomain com.apple.mouse.forceClick -bool false

zmiller
New Contributor II

In Big Sur and Monterey I created a script that disables Force Touch on our systems. This requires a reboot to complete. I run this on new systems that require a reboot to activate Filevault, so they have to reboot anyway to complete the system setup.

#!/bin/sh

loggedInUser="$( echo "show State:/Users/ConsoleUser" | scutil | awk '/Name  && ! /loginwindow/ { print $3 }' )"
loggedInUID=$(id -u "$loggedInUser")

# Disable Force Touch After Reboot
/bin/launchctl asuser "$loggedInUID" sudo -iu "$loggedInUser" defaults write com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad ActuateDetents -int 0
/bin/launchctl asuser "$loggedInUID" sudo -iu "$loggedInUser" defaults write com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad ForceSuppressed -bool true