Disabling iCloud Desktop & Documents folders sync on macOS Sierra?

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Hi,

From what we can see in the release notes of the new JSS version, there is no possibility to prevent a Mac with Sierra from syncing files from Desktop and Documents into iCloud. Does anyone know how to prevent that? We don't want our bandwidth clogged and users confused with the "low iCloud storage space" messages.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

haircut
Contributor

I have this same question – a user in the MacAdmins slack stated this would be manageable via configuration profile but I've not yet seen the option.

Hopefully someone else can respond and guide us.

danny_hanes
Contributor

I reached out to my TAM to also get this answered. When I hear back, I will post an update.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I'm interested in this, too.

Looks like there is a similar thread here: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=20997

keaton
Contributor
Contributor

The 9.96 release includes this functionality. It can be found under Computers > Configuration Profiles > Restrictions payload > Functionality > Allow iCloud documents & data. Uncheck this to prevent this setting.

Hope that helps!

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

@keaton that's something else. What if we want the users to be able to use their iCloud Drive across the apps, for example, but we don't want that their Desktop and Documents folders are synced? Doesn't really help.

michael_devins
Contributor II
Contributor II

Great question @St0rMl0rD. At this time, Apple does not provide any configuration profiles to limit this new macOS Sierra iCloud functionality. I would recommend filing a request with them to add this feature.

Apple has announced their intention to allow for skipping the set up of iCloud Desktop during DEP enrollment, however it is unclear whether this will wholly remove the feature for DEP users or whether it will simply not prompt them at setup. Once Apple releases documentation to support skipping that step during DEP enrollment, we will add it to the product.

I hope that helps!

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Hi,

Is there any update on this? We tested the derflounder profile but it didn't do anything. We want the iCloud data to be on (if the user is already logged into iCloud), but the Desktop & Documents sync off.

prodservices
New Contributor III

We're in the same boat - migrations to Sierra are on hold until we have a way to block this "feature".

Mkh
New Contributor III

@wolftech does it work on Catalina ?