Doesn't enroll after Casper Imaging.

ggigliotti
New Contributor II

When I first started imaging the computers they were working fine. Now when i go to image laptops over the network it installs all the pkgs but never enrolls the computer into JSS. No placeholders show up in JSS but in the computer the /Library/Application Support/JAMF folder is there but the file /var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/MDM_ComputerPrefs.plist isn't there. From my understanding that file is created when it communicates with Apple's Push servers. In the System.log file there is a part that is saying

May 27 09:40:50 Testing-10-blank apsd[56]: Got connection error Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1009 "The Internet connection appears to be offline." UserInfo={NSUnderlyingError=0x7fb0c2430fa0 {Error Domain=kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork Code=-1009 "The Internet connection appears to be offline." UserInfo={NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://albert.apple.com/deviceservices/deviceActivation?device=MacOS,

I added the URL to our bypass to see if that would solve the problem but it doesn't. I'm not sure if anyone else has ever had this issue before. I'm running the Casper imaging on a mac mini running OSX 10.11.4 and reloading a Macbook Pro with OSX 10.11.4. I currently just have the OS being pushed to it which was created with a brand new macbook and Casper Composer. The JSS and Casper imaging are both Version 9.91. The only other thing on the Imaging Configuration is a Directory Binding. I'm currently talking with JAMF but I figgured i'de try to see if anyone else has had this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ggigliotti
New Contributor II

What solved the problem for us was using AutoDMG to make the base image. Before we just used composer to make a image on a brand new mac book. From my understanding it seemed to be a problem with the build of the computer. The image was from a brand new computer and the computers we were reloading were from last year.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mahughe
Contributor

Does the /Library/Application Support/First Run folder on the client contain anything? I believe the Enroll.sh resides inside of that folder..

ggigliotti
New Contributor II

@mahughe The /Library/Application Support/JAMF/First Run folder has nothing in it. The command sudo jamf enroll -prompt works fine and enrolls perfectly. It is just when I am trying to image it it will not enroll.

mahughe
Contributor

have you checked connections to the APNS servers?

ggigliotti
New Contributor II

I was looking around in the system.log file and found that the client would check for the APNS server before the network connection even came up. I have a call with JAMF this afternoon. I'll be sure to post what I figure out.

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@ggigliotti had the same problem, but we are about to update to latest version of JSS. I'm big on automation, so as a work around I call the following simple script during first boot, placed at a hidden location, then deleted. Machines are in a secure location while being imaged

#!/bin/bash
sudo jamf enroll -prompt << EOF
jssacountuser
jssacountuserpassword
localsshaccount
localsshaccountpassword

Larry

marklamont
Contributor III

@ggigliotti Are you on an ISE network?
that caused us lots of issues so we ended up setting a package in the build that sets a post build launchdaemon to get the network running then run a quickadd package.

ggigliotti
New Contributor II

What solved the problem for us was using AutoDMG to make the base image. Before we just used composer to make a image on a brand new mac book. From my understanding it seemed to be a problem with the build of the computer. The image was from a brand new computer and the computers we were reloading were from last year.