El Capitan DEP delay - "InstallApplication Device was busy. Will try again"

jbarnes
New Contributor

We use DEP for setting up computers that come out-of-the-box, but as of El Capitan (and our upgrade to 9.81) there is a long delay between when the DEP server acknowledges that a Mac should be enrolled in Casper, gets the jamf binary, and executes the enrollment event which light-images the machine.

If you go to the computer (which is listed as DEP - serial) in Casper and select history -> management history, there is one pending command:

InstallApplication Device was busy. Will try again. x minutes ago

The machine at this point doesn't have the management framework installed/jamf binary. On a reboot, the machine does enroll. It will also enroll itself after what is usually a long period of waiting. Has anyone else experienced this or circumvented it?

I am wondering what is causing the computer to think that it is busy, since this did not occur with Yosemite.

4 REPLIES 4

EHoug
New Contributor II

We are having the same issue. We upgraded to JSS 9.81 to allow El Capitan devices to enrol into our JSS. When I configure my client machine with El Capitan the auto enrolment through DEP fails (no alert on client machine). When checking the client machine account in the JSS I see the error "InstallApplication - Device was busy. Will try again." I am assuming it is trying to install the SelfService application as I have this set to install on all machines in my JSS. i have also noticed that I am getting failed commands, these commands all appear to be "Remove Configuration...." commands

On reboot I get the error below (JSS Error) stating that "DEP QuickAdd failed to download - Use the Purchases page to try again." I can see in Launchpad that something is trying to be installed. Once I hit the "Ok" button in the alert window and check for the application I can see nothing has installed (no SelfService) and my client machine remains unmanaged in the JSS

I am getting around this issue by enrolling the device via the web portal (creating a QuickAdd package via Recon seems to fail as well but I am completing further tests on this). I enabled/disabled profile removal in my DEP PreStage Enrolment but this has not helped.

As soon as I downgrade the client machine to Yosemite everything works fine again.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@Eddie_Houghton I think I remember reading somewhere on JAMF Nation that if you have Make MDM Profile Mandatory checked in the PreStage Enrollments that you will receive the message you stated. If you have that option checked, uncheck it and try again. I don't remember if this is a known defect they are working to resolve or not.

EHoug
New Contributor II

I had read that as well but changing this setting did not resolve my issue.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

That's good to know @Eddie_Houghton. I played with it briefly and when I ran into issues I put it aside to work on another time. We're only on 9.73 so I was hoping that the issue was resolved in a later release. If you decide to contact JAMF support on the issue and they give you a resolution please post back.