$EMAIL variable issue (and user level issues)

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I created a config profile to pre-populate account information for Skype for Business by using the $USERNAME and $EMAIL variables. I pushed it out at the computer level and it works - kinda. My test mac is listed in JSS as being assigned to JSmith, but I logged in as myself for the first time on this computer. The config profile pre-populated the skype info of the jsmith user, not me.
QUESTION: where do the $EMAIL and $USERNAME variables pull their info from? The logged in user or info in the JSS computer record?

I figured those kinds of settings might need to be applied at the user level so I removed it from the computer level and redid it as a user level config. When I assign the computer and save. Absolutely nothing is pushed. The log for the profile says "There is no long for this profile". When I look at the list view of config profiles, it says N/A for Pending. I know I've pushed user level profiles out in the past (we no longer use those particular profiles any more), and I am pretty sure I'm doing it the same way as before. What am I missing that is making this profile not push to the logged in user?

2 REPLIES 2

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

The primary reason I'm working with variables now is we are planning to go to Office 365 this year and it would be awesome if I could get everyone's info pre-populated based on their AD information. I changed the user info for this test computer in the JSS to MY name and then repushed the config profile to it and it did have MY info pre-populated in Skype. So far it looks like no matter what I do it pulls that info from the JSS computer record. It's not the end of the world, but it does make the few multiuser computers we have difficult to preconfigure because any and everyone who uses that computer will be setup as the primary owner as set in JSS.

tlivolsi
New Contributor

>QUESTION: where do the $EMAIL and $USERNAME variables pull their info from? The logged in user or info in the JSS computer record?

It pulls the information from the computer's "User and Location" section. I've found that the kind of thing you're doing works well if you use user-initiated enrollment because it pre-populates the user's information before pushing out the configuration profile.