Employee already used their work email to create an apple id

lhayes
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

I work as a system admin and have a user who already signed up for an apple id using their work email and now I cannot create an account for him within the DEP using that email address.

Is there a way to convert or enroll the apple id so it falls under the DEP? Currently the error I'm getting is "This managed appled id has already been taken".

Thanks!

L

2 REPLIES 2

mschroder
Valued Contributor

Do you have the option to create a mail alias for that user? That is what we do when people already created an AppleID using their email address.

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Are you using Federated Authentication? If so, the user will be informed that you own that domain, and they will be asked to change their Apple ID:

How Apple notifies users whose Apple ID conflicts with Apple School Manager

If you're on Apple Business Manager, or not yet using Federated Authentication, you might just try informing them that it is in their best interest to change the email address associated with their personal Apple ID to their personal email address. Since you control the email domain, it is technically possible for a bad actor at your organization to take control of the email address, and therefore their personal Apple ID.

You can also give them this resource: Change your Apple ID