Endnote Cite While you write deployment

tdenton
Contributor II

Hello

I'm trying deploy EndNote 21 so that End Users can open Word and the Cite While You Write plug-in will be configured.

Have tried to use configurater to do this and while everything seems to be in the write place the plugin doesnt load in word.
i did come accross this old post https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/endnote-x8-w-cite-while-you-write-deployment/m-p/148974#M1380...

Which I have tried to updated.

#!/bin/bash

WordMajVersion=`defaults read "/Applications/Microsoft Word.app/Contents/Info" CFBundleShortVersionString | awk -F "." '{print $1}'`
WordMinVersion=`defaults read "/Applications/Microsoft Word.app/Contents/Info" CFBundleShortVersionString | awk -F "." '{print $2}'`

case $WordMajVersion in
15) echo "Word version 15.xx, need to confirm it is above 15.24"
if [ ${WordMinVersion} -ge 24 ]; then
rm -dfR /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup/Word/EndNote CWYW Word 2016.bundle
#Copy the new one
ditto "/Applications/EndNote 21/Cite While You Write/EndNote CWYW Word 2016.bundle" "/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup/Word/EndNote CWYW Word 2016.bundle"
chown -R root:admin "/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup/Word"
fi
;;
16) echo "16.X this is the insider build"
rm -dfR /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word/EndNote CWYW Word 2016.bundle
#Copy the new one
ditto "/Applications/EndNote 21/Cite While You Write/EndNote CWYW Word 16.bundle" "/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup/Word/EndNote CWYW Word 16.bundle"
chown -R root:admin "/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup/Word"
;;
*) echo "**** Microsoft Word is not a compatible version! ****"
exit 1; # Fail the install as it won't patch correctly
;;
esac

Im getting a runtime error in word it seems have put the plugin in the write place. Word is just struggling to load it correctly. Has anyone else be successful with this

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

pbenware1
Release Candidate Programs Tester

The method I chose was as follows, from the internal knowledge article I wrote so I wouldn't forget how I did it. Ignore that it says Endnote v20, its the same for Endnote v21- I just didn't update the KB article when we moved to v21.

1. Initiate a new package build with Composer using Normal Snapshot:
    1. Launch Composer.
    2. Select Normal Snapshot.
    3. Select Next.
    4. Enter Package name Endnote v20
    5. Select Next.
    6. Composer will create a "before' snapshot.

2. Install Endnote:
    1. Double click the Endnote install and follow steps to complete.
    2. Select Customizer from the EndNote 20 menu to install the Word plug in and other services.

3. Build the package in Composer:
    1. Click Create Package Source.
    2. Composer builds an "after" snap shot.
    3. In the next window make the following changes.
      1. Verify "Library"
        1. Expand "Library/Application Support"
          1. Look for Microsoft/Office365 
          2. Keep the Microsoft folder.  Delete everything else by right clicking and selecting Delete.
      2. Delete "Users"
        1. Right click, select "Delete Users".
        2. Click Delete
  4. Save the package in Composer:
    1. Select Build as PKG.
    2. Select a location to save the PKG.
    3. Tap Save.
    4. When complete, a new file called EndNote V20.pkg should appear.