Enhanced Dictation Pack download fail MacOS 10.12

Slawford
New Contributor III

Hello Friends ,

I'm trying to enable Apples built in enhanced dictation on MacOS 10.12 but receive error "Dictation languages are not available to download at this time " have tried different networks , managed and non managed machines . I tested on a 10.11 VM and it does download it seems . Anyone else come across this issue?

9 REPLIES 9

gupta1991ravi
New Contributor

Hi, these steps may help you:

1. Press these keys simultaneously: (shift ⇧+command⌘+G)
  2. In the dialog box that appears after step 1, copy and paste the following :~/Library/Preferences
  3. Hit return/enter
  4. You will be presented with a ton of files, but you should be able to find thecom.apple.assistant.plist
  5. Move it to the Trash and Empty your Trash
  6. Open Dictation & Speech preference panel and turn off dictation
  7. Restart your computer (very important step)
  8. Open Dictation & Speech preference panel, turn on dictation
  9. Select Enhanced Dictation
  10. Download should begin and install correctly

Slawford
New Contributor III

Good Suggestion Gupta but unfortunately issue persists

ltonyj43
New Contributor

Just worked for me - thanks, Gupta

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I'm seeing this issue on a couple Macs running 10.12.x. The instructions from @gupta1991ravi above doesnt appear to resolve the issue for me.

Does the Dictation download package come from SUS or another Apple server? I see a "Dication Language Update 2.0.4" (031024486) on my SUS server, but it keeps geting disabled for some reason (everytime I enable it it gets disabled again later automatically).

Are the Apple Dictation packages(s) available ala carte from Apple? I can't find them.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

I downloaded Install SpeechRecognitionCoreLanguage_en_US2.0.4.pkg and put it in self service for our users @dstranathan

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Thanks @CasperSally - where did you find the .pkg at? I'm unable to locate it.

joshuasee
Contributor III

During the install on a machine running High Sierra, I was able to hard link it out of /Library/Updates/031-06400/SpeechRecognitionCoreLanguage_en_US.pkg to keep a copy for future use.

Slawford
New Contributor III

Out of interest , does anyone that's having issues here also have an Antivirus installed? Microsoft's Endpoint Protection in particular?

Slawford
New Contributor III

Just an update on this , incase anyone else runs into the issue . I found that my problems were caused by my internal SUS server . If I changed to the Mac to point to Apple , all seemed to work ok .