ePO Agent and McAfee Security.app upgrade - use Casper or ePO Server

Cem
Valued Contributor

Has anyone upgrade their ePO Server from 4.5 to 4.6? I want to know how the Mac clients handled the agent and McAfee Security.app upgrades....
As ePO server can handle these tasks. We have tested this in our lab but want to make sure.

Otherwise I will have to uninstall and re-install ePO Agent and maybe the App with Casper.

any input welcome!

5 REPLIES 5

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

So, my last job used McAfee and we were in the middle of getting from ePO 4.5 with McAfee Security 1.0 to 4.6/1.1 (respectively) when I left. The gist was that we used Casper to strip out everything and install the 4.6 client. Then allow ePO to install MSM 1.1.

Cem
Valued Contributor

Hi Jared,

Why did you need to do that? Was ePO Server update halting Macs?
The reason I ask, as we had some issues when we have updated ePO from v4 to v4.5... auto update didn't work then. I don't want to go through that again (deep scars) :)
But maybe it was a major update.

Update using ePO from 4.5 to 4.6 worked in our lab fine so far.

Did you get any issues doing that?

Thanks!

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Someone in our environment updated to 4.6 before really thinking of all the implications. Not really sure how it happened, but they couldn't actually update the 4.5 agent on Macs to 4.6 through ePO. Thus we used Casper to do it.

Cem
Valued Contributor

I think I will follow the same footsteps... ePO is not very popular by users already. So I don't really want to test their patience :)

Cyberghost
New Contributor III

We are testing the Update of the Clients this week. We uninstall the App and Agent at logout. Then we install the Agent at Login and the App will install with every15 Trigger if Agent = 4.6 and App is not installed.

We must update to introduce Endpoint Encryption. Not my plan :-)