equivalent of modifying /etc/host for iOS?

opus
New Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to implement the new youtube filtering available for google apps domains.
This basically means modifying DNS entries for several google domains OR using an HTTP header injection (not available to us right now).
Information for those interested: https://support.google.com/a/answer/6214622

Option 1: DNS Configure Domain Name System (DNS) on your network to add a Canonical Name (CNAME) for the following hostnames: www.youtube.com m.youtube.com youtubei.googleapis.com youtube.googleapis.com www.youtube-nocookie.com For Strict Restricted YouTube access, add restrict.youtube.com as a CNAME for these domains. For Moderate Restricted YouTube access, add restrictmoderate.youtube.com as a CNAME for these domains.

Anywho....at school, this is obviously easily done.
It's at home where we have the problem.
Mac's have /etc/hosts that can be modified, but is there a way to do this for supervised iOS?
Is there any other way to effectively accomplish the same thing?? Does jamf have a trick??

The only thing I'm coming up with is put out an external DNS server and point all my ipads to that??
Far from ideal.

Thanks for any help!

2 REPLIES 2

jjones
Contributor II

IOS supports content filtering and whitelist/blacklist through configuration profiles. You might be able to cater your list this way however can be tedious to do so.

Here's a screenshot of where: e9681fde55c84f5baea8ebb6fb408110

Emmert
Valued Contributor

A custom proxy PAC might be able to do that.