Erase & Install M1 Sonoma

NeiSpe77
New Contributor III

Hi guys,

I recently used this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtdPLbpREtM to erase a computer lab of MBAs to go from Catalina to Monterey. It worked great.

Now I have two more computer labs that I need to do from Monterey to Sonoma. These MBAs are M1s, the others were Intels.

I got the first part to work where it downloads Sonoma, but I can't get it to install. I have it set to install through Self Service but no dice. To see the errors I ran it through Terminal. I get the error: Could not find the provided own on this system

I've edited the Execute Command in the Files and Processes from when I used it for the first lab. (see screenshot below). But it doesn't want to work for me.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!Screenshot 2024-08-30 at 4.27.18 PM.png

8 REPLIES 8

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

This data is a few years out of date, there is still a work flow that some people use but I find it to be more trouble than its worth.

Is there a reason you are not just using the MDM command to erase the Mac? The MDM command will wipe the Mac, and boot Mac in to macOS for enrollment when done.

NeiSpe77
New Contributor III

I was thinking about doing that. If I use the erase command will I get the option to re-install with Sonoma?
Or would it be better if I created a few USBs with Sonoma and just use the Recovery and Disk Util to erase and then reboot and install from them?

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

It will usually reinstall whatever is already on the Mac, but it can revert back to what is on the recovery partition. As far as using a USB Key, or the other options to restore the Mac, it's really down to your needs. I prefer the MDM command as I can just click that button and not think about it again for a while.

NeiSpe77
New Contributor III

Thanks for the replies AJpinto :)
I tried the Erase Command but when it asked me to enter a 6 digit bypass code (which I did), it gave me an error that it was Activation Locked.
I grabbed my USB installer and wanted to see if it was indeed locked by erasing (deactivating) the drive. But it erased ok and on the reboot Activated OK. Weird.
I have 4 USB installers which I'm using on a lab of 30. I don't have much time to troubleshoot as school starts up next week.

Thanks for your help!

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

Send the erase all contents and settings command from Jamf, there is a button in the devices inventory record. Doing it from macOS is kinda clunky.

NeiSpe77
New Contributor III

I worked on another computer lab this weekend, same make and model as the last one I was working on. I couldn't find the command you mentioned, but it's probably the same one as the Wipe Computer command from the Management Commands.

I ran the Wipe Command and it worked this time (was having issues with Activation Lock previously) but it doesn't wipe the drive, it just removes the jamf agent and software installed by jamf. I was hoping there was a command to completely erase the drive.

Thanks again for your help.

KateWinslet
New Contributor II

It seems the issue could be related to the difference between Intel and M1 architectures. The error "Could not find the provided own on this system" suggests the command or path might not correctly reference the installer on M1 Macs. Ensure you're using the macOS Sonoma installer compatible with Apple Silicon (M1) and that your startosinstall command includes the correct path. Also, verify that your Self Service policy is properly configured for M1 Macs and that the script has the necessary permissions. If problems persist, try running the installation command directly in Terminal to troubleshoot further.

mschlosser
Contributor II

i'd recommend the use of:

https://github.com/grahampugh/erase-install

to get to sonoma where you can then use DDM commands that are a bit more reliable. can erase or upgrade. M Series or intel, see the wiki for directions. recently used it to upgrade 100 machines, i had to touch only one of them.