Error 2013 (HY000) lost connection to MySql server at 'sending authentication information', system error 32

khurram
Contributor III

Error 2013 (HY000) lost connection to MySql server at 'sending authentication information', system error 32

The above error is causing jss to stop while we perform some action. Like this happened today while we tried to delete a user's computer from the JSS as this Macbook Pro is now off the fleet.

14 REPLIES 14

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I think Its telling you there is a problem with the connection between tomcat and the mysql server so I would start looking there first.

luispalumbo
Contributor

I'm having this problem for more than a week now and even updated MySQL to the latest version, 5.6.24, didn't help, updated Java to 8 Update 45, didn't help, updated the system to 10.10.3 didn't help, changed the limit files on the system didn't help...

I'm not sure what can be but it seems that MySQL is restarting very often and sometimes it stops but don't start again until restarting the computer.

benducklow
Contributor III

@khurram @luispalumbo Any update or solution to this? I've been getting this error during my automatic JSSDatabaseUtility backups...

khurram
Contributor III

@benducklow Did you check the following. I wanted to test it first before making any changes on live server.
http://superuser.com/questions/261023/how-to-change-default-ulimit-values-in-mac-os-x-10-6

luispalumbo
Contributor

@khurram and @benducklow I tried what is on that website and my limits are below: maxproc 2048 2048 maxfiles 65536 65536

It's still not working...

JSSBackupUtility is not working at all. It starts then after a while it stops returning this error.

What I did was a script that dumps the database into an sql file, which works OK after restarting the computer, but after a few hours it won't work again.

benducklow
Contributor III

@luispalumbo Its very unfortunate that you have to develop a custom solution; obviously there's a few of us that are experiencing the same issue. Have you been working with JAMF Support on this by chance? I have and have been given some things to try specifically within the my.cnf file but have not actually made any change as of yet.

I've pinned this issue as a result of updating to v9.72. My automatic backups are inconsistent as well. It appears that maybe a load of some sort is causing the failures; as an example, my backups failed every night last week yet worked fine this past Saturday and Sunday evening (so perhaps some weekday vs. weekend load on the server/database).

luispalumbo
Contributor

@khurram and @benducklow

Just updating you guys that last week I went very radical and re-installed the whole server. Installed 10.10.4 from scratch, then MySQL server again, JSS server and restored the database. First backup through JSSBackupUtility worked perfectly, I started it manually though. But after the first one, it stopped again with the same error. I'm doing it again manually.

I even tried to repair the tables manually before running the JSSBackupUtility in case the problem could be related to timeout connection, but JSSBackupUtility repairs the tables once again and then it drops out. No luck at all.

Have you guys fixed your problems with it?

millersc
Valued Contributor

Had similar issues this past week with 10.8.5 Server and 5.6.12 MySQL. We dropped down to 5.5.x MySQL and so far, all is stable and doing good. Any reason you can't downgrade the SQL?

khurram
Contributor III

I think I repaired and optimized the MySQL database. But the error was still not resolved but changed into different error and then we had to contact Casper and since then it is fixed and working fine for a week.

The following two were tried in the next step but didn't work, however, this may have contributed in resolving the issue.

• increased the No. of connections MySQL can take (300 now)
  • increased the size of Tomcat connections

The followings resolved the issue straight away.

• MySQL server was upgraded to 5.6.22

The following practice was advised by Casper.

• whenever upgrading OSX server, reinstall a fresh copy of the server and configure the server again. Simply upgrading server OSX like from 10.9 to 10.10 may cause issues. However, we have 10.10 and it is working fine.

It seems to be the combination of versions of OSX server, MySQL and JSS.

• we are using Apache Tomcat 7.0 and JSS 9.62

JAMF should release a document stating which versions of these programs are compatible with each other. If such a document exist please point it out for me.

luispalumbo
Contributor

The only thing I didn't try before was downgrade MySQL from 5.6.x to 5.5.x. I did try updating it from 5.6.22 to 5.6.25 thinking it would solve my problem, I was wrong.

Then thanks to @millersc who suggested downgrading MySQL to 5.5.x, and after installing it yesterday, tested the manual backup during the day and auto backup at night, it seems to be working fine now.

@khurram and @benducklow maybe try downgrading the MySQL server...

millersc
Valued Contributor

Glad the suggestion helped. As a side note, since doing the downgrade, backups every night, on time and with email confirmation. Very happy! Now to move MySQL off to it's own server for better performance LOL.

Sonic84
Contributor III

adding "table_open_cache = 250" to my.conf seemed to fixed this issue for me. mysql had the default value at 2000. Seems to be related to the open file limit others have mentioned. Time will tell if it's truly gone...

JSS 9.73
mySQL 5.6.26
MacPro 2013 hosting both JSS and mySQL

Resolved symptoms: MySQL preference pane status was "flapping" between running and stopped.
MySQL workbench connections would drop at random.
Terminal.app login to mysql would sometimes error: Lost connection to MySQL server at 'sending authentication information'
MySQL connection from local terminal would error between commands: "ERROR 2006 (HY000): MySQL server has gone away"
JSS Database Utility erred out at various stages with "...Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading authentication packet', system error 0"
MySQL command 'show status like 'Aborted_connects';' revealed a steadily incrementing number.

KebsKebs
New Contributor II

Where do I find this "my.conf" file

I'm on OSX 10.10.5 and have installed mysql 5.5.45-osx-10.9-x86_64

I have found a bunch of my-*.conf files here, but not sure which to edit.

/usr/local/mysql-5.5.45-osx10.8-x86_64/support-files/

uurazzle
Contributor II

FYI:

We modified our "my.conf" file as a workaround the issue, see this blog post for details.

JSS – Troubleshooting MySQL Connection Errors

I would suggest those experiencing the issue give feedback to the MySQL developers, see the Bug #71960 web page:

MySQL 5.6.16 on OS X throws connection errors with innodb_file_per_table option

Hope this helps.