Error 801 on macOS High Sierra deployment?

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hi Folks,

We have run into a very simple error from a simple command:

The command is nothing more than:

"/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall" --applicationpath /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app --agreetolicense --eraseinstall --nointeraction

When we run this, we first copy the macOS High Sierra onto the local drive and this is only being done on existing macOS High Sierra Macs running 10.13.4. We have all of our Macs enrolling via DEP and a pre-stage enrollment.

With the local installer copied to the local Macs, we run this command to attempt to erase the drive and install a fresh copy of High Sierra. In our brief testing, we didn't have any issues.

Now in our labs, we are attempting to do this for the first time with a larger number of Macs and some are working others not at all. Running the command in a local terminal window, we are also seeing this error, but the popup window asking to install a helper is showing so I suspect, this is something to do with permissions or something.

Anyone else see this command error and have you worked past it somehow?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chubs
Contributor

I believe that the --eraseinstall can only be done on APFS volumes. The 801 error seems to only appear on volumes formatted as HFS+.

I find your lack of faith disturbing

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Chubs
Contributor

I believe that the --eraseinstall can only be done on APFS volumes. The 801 error seems to only appear on volumes formatted as HFS+.

mconners
Valued Contributor

Thank you @Chubs you are correct. After speaking with Apple and others, it appears the eraseinstall option on works with 10.13.4 and above and the drive is on APFS. We have made a serious effort to get all of our student Macs over to APFS. So far, about 64% are moved over. The rest are being changed via refresh and after remodeling efforts are completed.

Chubs
Contributor

@mconners We are in the process of in place converting our HFS+ drives to APFS, then pushing the HighSierra installer. and then running the script to have them wipe/reload the OS.

It's a tedious process - some drives don't like the APFS provisioning. Others take it like a champ. Best of luck with the conversion process!

SCADtom
New Contributor III

What process did you use to convert from HFS+ to APFS?