Unassigned iPad in DEP won't reassign

swapple
Contributor III

I have some test iPads that were working fine in DEP. Do a wipe/reset and they would redirect to the MDM after 3 screens and all was well in the world.

Now I want to test with no DEP. While in deploy.apple.com, I unassigned a few iPads for testing. Once I did that and did a wipe/reset on the iPad go to thru the setup, I got the 13 step setup process as expected. Good test.

Going back to deploy.apple.com and assigning the iPads to the MDM server again, having the MDM check in and seeing the iPad in the Settings > DEP section, I again wipe/reset the iPad and go thru the setup screens. Usually after I join it to wifi. DEP intercepts and redirects to the MDM and I don't see the Location service question. BUT on my test iPads, it is not redirecting to DEP. DEP works fine for other iPads (new purchase and current stock) on that MDM. The first time I enter in the wifi, it takes a few minutes while it looks like it is checking for MDM but then goes to the Location Service screen. Hit the home button to start over and now it quickly jumps from the wifi screen to the LS screen. Wipe again and a delay is back while it setup wifi. I am not getting back to redirected to MDM.

In deploy.apple.com, the export shows the ipad is assigned to the right MDM.

Any ideas on what is keeping it from going back to my Jamf MDM?

7 REPLIES 7

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Did you put it into the right PreStage on the Jamf side?

swapple
Contributor III

Yes, uses the same one as before.

guidotti
Contributor II

Try and put them in recovery mode and wipe them out/reimage. Sometimes I have had to do that to hit proper activation again.

bstephens
New Contributor II

Click the gear in the top right, then select Device Enrollment Program and select the name of your DEP instance. Then go to the devices tab and search for the device. Under Prestage Enrollment Status check to see if it shows as assigned. I have often found the device shows as unassigned. If I then unassign the device in DEP, then press the refresh button at the bottom of the page in JAMF, then assign the device in DEP, and once again refresh in JAMF, then wipe the device and it should enroll in DEP. Good luck!

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I've seen this behavior occasionally when a device is unassigned from the Apple site (either deployment or ASM), and then reassigned to the same, or a different MDM server record, without first un-assigning it from the PreStage in Jamf Pro.

The fix for me has been to unassign the device from the Apple side, then refresh each of the DEP account records in Jamf Pro. Make sure that the serial number(s) in question are not listed in any of the DEP accounts. You should then be able to reassign the device and refresh that DEP account in Jamf Pro.

Good luck!

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@jcarr thanks this helped me today!

Slicer
New Contributor III

@jcarr Thank you! That worked perfectly for me this morning.