Ethernet Connection for iPads

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hi Everyone,
Following my 2014 JNUC session, there were several questions about one item in my presentation... Using a camera kit, USB-to-ethernet adapter and a USB hub to get your iPad online when it falls off wireless... This really helps for pushing 'clear passcode' commands or resetting the iPad and inserting a activation lock code, etc.

Here are the required items:
-powered USB hub (the ethernet takes too much power for the iPad to directly handle most of the time)
-Camera kit (lightning or 30-pin to USB plug)
-Apple USB to Ethernet adapter
-iPad

Take the powered USB hub and plug the USB to ethernet adapter into the hub and plug it into an ethernet cord. Then, take the end that you'd normally plug into your computer and plug that into the camera kit adapter. Then, plug the camera kit adapter into the iPad. You'll get an alert on the iPad that it isn't a supported USB peripheral. This is a good thing! It means it was detected. If you don't get this warning, check all your connections as something isn't right.

Give the iPad 30 seconds or so and you should be online. Push notifications wills tart flowing but sending an empty push might get things moving more quickly. Then, send whatever command you need to send and you should be set! I've had to sometimes reboot the iPad with everything connected to see it and if you disconnect it, it almost always needs a reboot to see it again a second time.

So, this isn't bullet-proof but works awesome to get a clear passcode or reset command to an iPad that is locked out. It works about 80-80% of the time for me.

52 REPLIES 52

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

@dhanadhan I don't know. I don't have those restrictions on my iPad kiosks. My guess would be NO - POE won't work, but I would test this first. Due to COVID-19, I haven't been into our office in a while, and we have shut down all our iPad kiosks (since nobody is in the building right now and they are burning pixels for no reason).

dhanadhan
New Contributor III
@dhanadhan I don't know. I don't have those restrictions on my iPad kiosks. My guess would be NO - POE won't work, but I would test this first. Due to COVID-19, I haven't been into our office in a while, and we have shut down all our iPad kiosks (since nobody is in the building right now and they are burning pixels for no reason).

@dstranathan I appreciate if you can let me know whenever you get a chance to test. By default, USB Restricted mode is enabled on iPads running iOS 11.4.1 or higher.

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

Is there any way to configure 802.1x authentication over ethernet for mobile devices? Specifically iPadOS?

harrison_geisle
New Contributor II

Belkin now has a Lightning to Ethernet Adapter with Power. They work great from my experience. Only downside is they are $99 a piece.
5e54c6da5c6d40868dd3645853ae4866

dhanadhan
New Contributor III
Belkin now has a Lightning to Ethernet Adapter with Power. They work great from my experience. Only downside is they are $99 a piece.

@harrison.geisler Does it work without tapping Trust on iPads running 11.4.1 or higher with USB restricted mode enabled? In other words, does it work while you are on the lock screen without unlocking iPad? If yes, this would be the way to go when someone forgets the passcode and iPad loses WiFi connection.

djrory
Contributor

Has anyone found a way to get the LAN MAC address as an EA in JAMF? We originally bought 3 of these Belkin adapters from Apple and they have the MAC printed on them,
we then bought another 50 direct from our supplier, they are the exact same model but no MAC printed on them.

Can we pull the LAN MAC into inventory management somehow?

silvanet
New Contributor

I have recently started back up with managing iPads and have come across a problem with a locked iPad with no wifi access. I used to be able to connect them to an ethernet network but it looks like I am experiencing issues currently with that process and have the same questions as others have. With the iPads having the USB restricted mode enabled, is there any way to get them connected to an ethernet network? I will try to disable that feature in the currently connected iPads to prevent this issue in the future, however, is there anything I can do about iPads already locked and no WiFi access?

dhanadhan
New Contributor III
I will try to disable that feature in the currently connected iPads to prevent this issue in the future, however, is there anything I can do about iPads already locked and no WiFi access?

@silvanet I tried the Belkin Ethernet PoE to Lightning adapter, but the iPad does not use it until it is unlocked. So Ethernet adapter for locked iPads without WiFi will not work if USB restricted mode is enabled. Only way to get them unlocked again is to Wipe it through iTunes or Configurator.

mhegge
Contributor III

Had the unfortunate experience going to Best Buy to get a Lightning to USB 3 Camera adapter, which now no longer includes the ability to charge, just has USB, not additional Lightning port. Locked iPad remains locked. Not sure if ANY method is going to work and I cannot go running around to find various adapter and hope it sticks. The issue here is iPads that do not retain their Wifi data. Ipads should always connect to a previously connected wifi. Thats why I am in this position right now with 2 iPads (one regular and one iPad Pro). They will not connect to our institution's wifi, even though they have previous. Why does this happen?

nelsoni
Contributor III

mhegge, I was able to get this method to work by using a powred USB hub. Plug the upstream port into the lighting to usb adapter and then use a usb to Ethernet adapter and plug it into one of the usb ports on the hub.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@mhegge If your institution has an account for Apple's e-commerce store the adapter is still showing there. It's MK0W2AM/A. Other e-commerce stores have it as well. I've used the powered usb hub trick @nelsoni mentioned as well with good results.

mhegge
Contributor III

Apple Adapter I purchased did not have the feature. On most recent iOS, your need to unlock the device to used the accessories. Which is a road block. Had to DFU wipe the devices.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@mhegge You have usb restricted mode enabled then if accessories don't work after a device restart and it's sitting at the lock screen.