Extending Casper to SCCM Reporting/Inventory?

onceyougozak
New Contributor

Hello community,

New to Casper and JSS. I've gone through the documentation on the Casper/SCCM Plugin, as well as these forums, but from what I can see the reporting/inventory functionality is very limited out of the box. My customer is looking to roll up security baseline reporting under SCCM for a "single pane of glass" view of their desktop environment.

My question is this: is the Casper/SCCM Plugin capable of sharing extended attributes for things like computer configuration, security/encryption, patching compliance, etc from Casper to SCCM? And if it is, can you recommend any resources where I might be able to start planning an approach?

I appreciate your help!

3 REPLIES 3

Not applicable

Have you had a look at the SCCM Plug-In? It might have what you are looking for :) We ask for a SOW and the details provided on what things get mapped was very illuminating.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

The last time I looked into it, you were not able to perform the kind of custom mapping you would need in order to do that. The PDF linked above does say it can be done with custom development, but I don't know how difficult that would be.

I imagine you would have to write some pretty rockin' extension attributes to do the heavy lifting, then just perform simple queries against them with SCCM to determine compliance.

drhoten
Contributor II

Hi Zak -

Yes, it is possible to send additional information to SCCM 2012 from the JSS.

We do send FileVault2 status over to SCCM 2012 as the BitLocker status but if you need more detailed information on what fields are sent over reach out to your TAM or support and they can provide you with a document that outlines what fields in our API is mapped to what WMI Classes and attributes and even the SQL database tables and fields.

Be sure to check out the XSL files that are installed as part of the JSS SCCM Proxy Service. They are used for transforming the XML from the JSS API into the XML needed for SCCM and will give you an idea of how you can modify it to send over additional information. The comments in those XSL files also contain some examples for XPath queries that you could use for grabbing the data from an extension attribute.

The trick in modifying the XSL files is knowing what WMI class you would like to map the data to in SCCM 2012. And if the WMI class does not exist you can also create your own custom class using the information in this TechNet article from Microsoft. How to Extend Hardware Inventory in Configuration Manager

Hope this helps!

Doug