Extension Attribute Resluts

j99mac
Contributor

I create the fallowing script to use as an Extension Attribute

if [ -d /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app ] ; then
/usr/bin/defaults read /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/Info CFBundleShortVersionString
else
printf "%s " "CS4 is not installed"
fi
if [ -d /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS6/Adobe Photoshop CS6.app ] ; then
/usr/bin/defaults read /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS6/Adobe Photoshop CS6.app/Contents/Info CFBundleShortVersionString
else
printf "%s " "CS6 is not installed"
fi

exit 0

When I run it on my Mac it shows me the version number for all version of Photoshop on my Mac.
When I run it as an Extension Attribute no results show up in the inventory report.
How can I get the script to show results in in JSS Casper EA?

12 REPLIES 12

andyinindy
Contributor II

You have to wrap your printf statements in <result></result> tags in order for them to be recognized by the JSS and stored in EA's.

Also, "Resluts". Ha!

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

There are probably 2 dozen different threads here with examples of how Extension Attributes need to be set up, and that's not counting the built in ones from the template you can add in your JSS, and then examine them. Just sayin'

Surround the results in the following tags by echoing it out as follows-

echo "<result>$your_result_variable_here</result>"

That said, can I ask why you'd be capturing something like the Adobe Photoshop version in an Extension Attribute? That's a built in function of the product. Why reinvent this?

j99mac
Contributor

Well it is nice to have it in a an inventory report.
Thanks I will try this

Is the script should be
"<result>$printf "%s "</result>"

mm2270

OK, I can see what you mean about being able to pull that into a report.

So that should probably be:

echo "<result>$(printf "%s
" "CS4 is not installed")</result>"

Modify the string being echoed in the second one in the script as needed.

j99mac
Contributor

I added the code to the script and change CS4 to the version each line

echo "<result>$(printf "%s
" "CS4 is not installed")</result>"

The results show only "printf %sn CS3 is not installed"
When run manually on my mac I get
<result>CS5 is not installed</result>
<result>CS5.1 is not installed</result>

mm2270

It sounds like you want a multi line result, showing what is and isn't installed as well as the version number of what is installed? If so, you need a more advanced script, probably one that builds a bash array and then uses that as the result. You can only do one echo "<result>some result</result>" line in an EA. Trying to echo it multiple times will just end up showing you the final one and not any previous ones.

j99mac
Contributor

Thanks for letting me know. What I am trying to do is find out what versions of Photoshop is installed on Macs. I do not need to see if a version is not installed

mm2270

So in the end, you only want a single result in the output, based on what version is installed, or if its not installed?

j99mac
Contributor

I want a multiple result with out showing not installed.

I could do this #!/bin/sh

if [ -d /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app ] ; then
    RESULT=$( defaults read /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/Info CFBundleShortVersionString )
    echo "<result>$RESULT</result>"
elif [ -d /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS6/Adobe Photoshop CS6.app ] ; then
    RESULT=$( defaults read /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS6/Adobe Photoshop CS6.app/Contents/Info CFBundleShortVersionString )
else
    echo "<result>Not Installed</result>"
fi

And get the result for only one of the 2 version of Photoshop that is installed on my Mac. How can I get the result to show me the version of both Photoshops installed on my Mac?

mm2270

As I mentioned, you likely will need to use an array. Try something like this-

#!/bin/bash

PSInstalls=$( mdfind -onlyin /Applications/ 'kMDItemDisplayName == "Adobe Photoshop*" && kMDItemKind == "Application"' )

if [[ "$PSInstalls" == "" ]]; then
    echo "<result>Photoshop not installed</result>"
else
    while read app; do
        appName=$(mdls -name kMDItemDisplayName "$app" | awk -F'"' '{print $2}')
        appVersion=$(/usr/bin/defaults read "${app}/Contents/Info" CFBundleShortVersionString)
        versList+=( "${appName}:   ${appVersion}
" )
    done < <( echo "$PSInstalls" )
    echo -e "<result>${versList[@]}</result>"
fi

I can't test this because I'm not on a Mac with any version of Photoshop installed on it. But it should give you output along these lines-

<result>Adobe Photoshop CS4:      11.0.2
Adobe Photoshop CS6:      13.0.6</result>

Or-

<result>Photoshop not installed</result>

If it couldn't locate any installed version

If you'd rather not have the application path and name, just change this line-

versList+=( "${appName}:   ${appVersion}
" )

To this-

versList+=( "${appVersion}
" )

And you'll see only the version number on separate lines

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

So here is my issue. Sophos has added a new version so I want a smart group created of Macs that don't have Sophos installed.
See below my script with both versions of Sophos for detection.

#!/bin/sh

#
############################################################################
#
# Extension Attribute checks to display Microsoft Word's Version with Release number.
#
# Uses CFBundleShortVersionString because this is the "release version number of the bundle"
# Ref: https://developer.apple.com/library/IOS/#documentation/General/Reference/InfoPlistKeyReference/Articles/CoreFoundationKeys.html
#
#
############################################################################
#

if [ -d /Applications/Sophos Endpoint.app ] ; then
    RESULT=$( defaults read /Applications/Sophos Endpoint.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleShortVersionString )
elif [ -d /Applications/Sophos Anti-Virus.app ] ; then
    RESULT=$( defaults read /Applications/Sophos Anti-Virus.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleShortVersionString )
else
    echo "<result>Not Installed</result>"
fi
Read My Blog: https://www.ericsontech.com

thejenbot
Contributor III

@kericson i'm sorry i don't have an answer for you but wanted to thank you for resurrecting this old thread and making me giggle at the spelling error in the title.
happy friday :)